my bichir is not eating

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

my bichir is not eating

Postby dinosaur bichir » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:47 pm

hi. im new here. i just bought a dinosaur bichir a few days ago. he is about 2" long and in a 10 gallon tank with 2 angle fish and a tiny bottom feeder (dont' know what its name is but its smaller than the bichir), but he hansn't eaten yet, im feeding him shrimp pellets. i will start feeding him bloodworms if he won't eat the pellets. and he just sits on the bottom usually in one of the chests or decor i have in there or in the corner not moving for hours on end. is he just adjusting to the new aquarium or the other fish or is he sick? someone please respond.
dinosaur bichir

Postby moocowmoneybox » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:19 pm

When i first had my ornate bichir i was worried about it not getting any food.
Well it was feeding (i guess it was finding scraps left over when the lights were out) and now it is about 13 inches in length.

I was trying different types of food when it was small and found that it liked sinking wafers and tablets as well as bloodworm (if the other fish left any).
You could try getting some whitebait or prawns (shrimps) that have been cooked and peeled (like you would have with a salad).
Cut it up and add to the tank when the lights go out, or when you go to bed. Hopefully the other fish will not scoff it all before your bichir has found it.
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision.
"There's someone in my head but it's not me..."
"Everybody has their vice"
moocowmoneybox

Postby dinosaur bichir » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:22 pm

thanks for the input. that is what i have heard and thinking about doing is getting frozen krill or bloodworms. i just want to make sure i am taking care of it the right way.
dinosaur bichir

Postby moocowmoneybox » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:28 pm

Also dont worry about it not doing much...thats their style.

mine rest about a lot, head up to the surface for some air every now and then, maybe have a swim around and then its back to chilling out and relaxing.

I dont know what they get up to in the middle of the night, but they are more active in dim light. They have poor eyesight so do most of their hunting about by smell or touch.

What size tank do you have it in and what else is in the tank with it?
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

moocowmoneybox

Postby dinosaur bichir » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:33 pm

its in a 10 gallon for now. i was told when it gets to be about 4 inches to get it into a bigger tank. its in there with 2 medium-large angle fish and a small bottom feeder (smaller than the bichir) so im waiting for the bichir to eat the bottom feeder even though i was told not to let it eat live fish or it will get use to it and refuse any other food besides live. and if i do feed it live fish to only do it once a month as a treat.
dinosaur bichir

Postby moocowmoneybox » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:47 pm

In the UK we dont like the practice of feeding live fish to another fish anyway.
Its best to get frozen or chilled, let it defrost, cut it into small pieces and then add it to the tank.
You can use mussels, shrimps, whitebait, bloodworm, beefheart (there are others but i cant think of them at the moment!)

Mine has managed to hunt a few of my fish out, but they were not feeder fish, its just that my Ornate Bichir has got so big now she must have been hungry and fancied a snack.

My Rio 400 (5ft tank holds approx 400 litres)
click the pic to enlarge it

Ornate Bichir
click the pic to enlarge it
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

moocowmoneybox

Postby dinosaur bichir » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:52 pm

yeah. here its common to feed live fish sometimes. yeah if he doesnt' start eating the pellets in a few days im gonna try frozen krill and bloodworms.

that is a beautiful fish tank and nice bichir. i can't wait to get a 120 gallon tank. how big is your bichir? and what other fish are in the tank with it?
dinosaur bichir

Postby Apistogramma » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:12 pm

Another very important reason for not feeding live fish is that the immense amount of stress and poor breeding conditions under which they are usually raised can cause diesease and bacteria to be transfered to your own stock. That would be a very sad way to lose your pet. :|
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby moocowmoneybox » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:50 pm

The Ornate Bichir in the picture is now about 13 inches long, it was probably around 10 inches when the pic was taken.

It is in with:
a large common plec
2 x senegal bichirs (I think this is what you have got)
a silver dollar (i did have more but they have died of natural causes)
a jack dempsey cichlid
an upside down catfish
a bulldog pleco

The USD cat and bulldog plec were in a 60 litre tank that i had, but took down due to needing the space

here is a pic from Jan (probably around 12 inches)
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

moocowmoneybox

Postby dinosaur bichir » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:59 pm

thanks for the info becky. i'll keep that in mind.
dinosaur bichir

Postby dinosaur bichir » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:06 pm

adrian.
yeah a senegal bichir is what i have. i can't wait till it grows to 12" long. i can't tell if its a female or male yet. i know the male has a broader anal fin and thicker dorsal spines. but i think i will have to wait till it gets bigger.
now one thing i have heard is that mixing different types of bichir or multiple of the same kind, they end up either killing eachother or they just tollerate eachother and play sometimes. any ideas on how to tell without getting more and finding out the hard way???
dinosaur bichir

Postby moocowmoneybox » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:19 am

I have 2 senegals and the ornate all in the same tank and as far as i know they get along OK.
Maybe its because they have enough space to move out of the way if trouble is about to happen.
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

moocowmoneybox

Postby dinosaur bichir » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:01 am

yeah that could be it. i won't get another one untill i get a bigger tank though.
dinosaur bichir

Postby dinosaur bichir » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:09 pm

well i started feeding him bloodworms and he is eating them with no fuss. he loves those. at least the ones that the other fish don't eat first. so thanks for the input.
dinosaur bichir

Postby moocowmoneybox » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:22 am

thats good :D
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

moocowmoneybox

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish