Dropsy, swimbladder or something else?

A forum for all of your Betta / Siamese Fighting Fish questions...

Dropsy, swimbladder or something else?

Postby Viv » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:14 am

My youngest has had a male siamese fighter for a few months. He was in one of those small fish 'r' fun cubes but we bought her something a little bigger for Christmas (it holds about 5 gallons). I primed the filter in my mature tank for about nine days so on Boxing day we moved Frankie into his new home. Water parameters have just been tested again and are fine (0ppm for both ammonia and nitrite). However, this morning he is having trouble staying upright (listing to one side only), he's hanging around near the surface - can't swim to the bottom of the tank even when he tries. My first thought was swimbladder but when I went to look he looks abnormally distended around the middle, which made me think dropsy. He ate alright this morning but I've told my daughter not to feed him anymore just yet. She's been giving him 1 dried bloodworm morning and night, same as my eldest has been doing with hers for the past year without problems, so I don't think over feeding is the cause.

I'm going to do a bit of searching to see if I can narrow down whats wrong - I don't want to medicate for the wrong thing - but I would really appreciate advice!

Viv
Tanks: Vision 450 community - larger fish, Rio 180 planted community - smaller fish, Rio 125 - tiger barbs, 60l - Siamese fighter, 25l corner - red cherry shrimp, 13l -african dwarf frogs

4 500l goldfish and koi pond
Viv

Postby Viv » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:41 am

Crisis averted! I discovered that my daughter wasn't waiting the full 5 minutes to get her test readings. It turns out that she did have ammonia (0.5ppm) and nitrite (0.25ppm). I'd primed her filter for as long as I did another one for a tank of similar size but it looks like it hadn't worked so well. Anyway, while she finishes the cycle on her tank I've moved the male into a tank with a female fighter - who is going to have to spend a bit of time in a floating hatchery. The male showed instant improvement - swimming about fine and no signs of any swelling anywhere (maybe that was my imagination!). All is well :D

Viv
Tanks: Vision 450 community - larger fish, Rio 180 planted community - smaller fish, Rio 125 - tiger barbs, 60l - Siamese fighter, 25l corner - red cherry shrimp, 13l -african dwarf frogs

4 500l goldfish and koi pond
Viv

Re: Dropsy, swimbladder or something else?

Postby RobtC » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Changing the water frequently and introducing a live plant would help prevent this problem. Plants help remove the ammonia from the water.
RobtC

Return to Bettas