Betta disease

A forum for all of your Betta / Siamese Fighting Fish questions...

Betta disease

Postby dclark82 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and hope to meet a great support community in understanding how to better care for my fish.

I've kept fish in the past when living at home but now that I've got my own place I've decided to set up a small Fluvel Edge tank (apporx 30 litres) and over the past year I've kept a small selection of guppies and mollies.

Prior to the Christmas though, I bought a Siamese Fighting Fish and it only lasted a couple of weeks. I put this down to having the wrong tank heater, it was the Fluvel Edge 25w heater that only maintained water temperature at 4 degrees higher than room temperature so the tank was constantly around 15-18 degrees.

I now have a new heater, nice warm tank at around 26-28 degrees and so thought I'd try my luck again at keeping a betta. Bought one on Saturday and it looked to be enjoying the new tank enormously by being very active. Now Monday morning, I've found it dead. :(

One thing I did notice, is that it clearly saw it's reflection at the back of the tank and was constantly flaring its fins/gills and being very active. On Sunday, I noticed a couple of white patches on it's skin, cause this have been caused by stress?

ps. sorry for the long post.
dclark82

Postby scoobysal » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:02 pm

I had this problem and put some black card on the side of the tank he was seeing the reflection in and he has stopped displaying. The white patches could be heater burns or an infection. My betta is poorly at the moment, covered in whitespot and he was doing so well.
scoobysal

Postby dclark82 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:24 pm

scoobysal wrote:I had this problem and put some black card on the side of the tank he was seeing the reflection in and he has stopped displaying. The white patches could be heater burns or an infection. My betta is poorly at the moment, covered in whitespot and he was doing so well.

Further to my initial messege, I've went out and bought a water testing kit. It would seem that the NO3 and KH levels are slightly high and a water change was required, seems strange why the other fish are okay. Although I guess this is because they had already built up their immune system whereas the betta hadn't. Saying that, it's strange why my new guppies haven't been effected.

As for the potential of burns, perhaps. The betta didn't tend to swin near the top of the tank besude the heater. It's not like the tank is cold, I have it set to around 27 degrees.
dclark82

Postby Viv » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:58 pm

The fluval edge always look like they're completely full of water - something to do with the design. Are they actually like this or is there a gap where the fish can surface? I ask because fighting fish like to breath air don't they? :?

Viv
Tanks: Vision 450 community - larger fish, Rio 180 planted community - smaller fish, Rio 125 - tiger barbs, 60l - Siamese fighter, 25l corner - red cherry shrimp, 13l -african dwarf frogs

4 500l goldfish and koi pond
Viv

Postby scoobysal » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:27 pm

They like to rest on things, plants and sometimes rest agianst the heater, top or bottom!!!!! It may be the water test results, hope it clears for you. Yes viv, they can breathe atmospheric air.
scoobysal

Postby Viv » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:42 am

scoobysal wrote:Yes viv, they can breathe atmospheric air.

Thought so. I was wondering if not being able to reach it would affect the fish, stress it out or something. But like I said I don't know if thats what happens in an edge or not.

I've never had any luck with fighters myself but those of my daughters are both thriving :?

Viv
Tanks: Vision 450 community - larger fish, Rio 180 planted community - smaller fish, Rio 125 - tiger barbs, 60l - Siamese fighter, 25l corner - red cherry shrimp, 13l -african dwarf frogs

4 500l goldfish and koi pond
Viv

Postby dclark82 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:47 am

Viv wrote:
scoobysal wrote:Yes viv, they can breathe atmospheric air.

Thought so. I was wondering if not being able to reach it would affect the fish, stress it out or something. But like I said I don't know if thats what happens in an edge or not.

I've never had any luck with fighters myself but those of my daughters are both thriving :?

Viv

Hi Viv, the Fluvel Edge has an opening at the back of the tank to allow for fish to surface. This opening is for feeding, filtering, and lights etc. Saying that, you only have to fill the tank up to what ever level you require.
dclark82

Postby scoobysal » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Mine isnt looking too good, was thriving but something is not right with him. The areas that fighters are usually found in are shallow murkey waters and this is why they dont like deep tanks with fast water flow. Its also the reason they breathe atmos air as they are used to stagnant water.
scoobysal

Postby scoobysal » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:46 pm

Mine has died, gutted aint enough to say :(
scoobysal

Re: Betta disease

Postby Kimothy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:48 pm

I had a betta in a 46l Fluval edge, he did not do well at all. They need the water's surface to breathe. Because the filter is up at the small opening and moving the water they don't like to go to the opening because there is too much movement. i found he was lyning on his side at the bottom of the tank looking like he was struggling to breathe. I took him out of the edge and put him in a different tank with a small amount of water movement, plenty of water surface and a plant to lie on.

He loves his new tank, it's like I have a different fish, he has loads of energy and comes to surface as soon as we approach it.

I did try putting in our 125l community tank but he didn't like it and started fin nipping, so he's back in his own little tank.
Kimothy

Return to Bettas