Strange Behaviour.

A forum for all of your Betta / Siamese Fighting Fish questions...

Strange Behaviour.

Postby keatingschick » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:52 pm

My son had a lovely red fighter fish, that sadly jumped out of the tank and died while were were away. I replaced him with a blue one. When I bought this one the fish looked a little iffy, I mentioned that it looked like they'd been attacked, he explained that while some were a type that their fins look like they've been eaten, he also admitted that they'd some how managed to be "got at" (not sure if he meant each other, or other fish had nibbled??).
Anyway this new one he got has been fine, we've had it maybe 2 1/2 weeks now, but over the last couple of days he has been behaving strange. The other day he said that he was dead, he was on the bottom of the tank and not in the tank, I went upstairs and we searched like mad (checked the floor) then all of a sudden he appeared. I left, but my son shouted and said he was behaving strange, I went back up and all of a sudden the fish is face down, tail up in the plant (its the fluval chi with a sort of, softish plastic plant in the square basket in the middle), I watched for a while and he stayed there, so I went to try and do something and he was face up but tail down. Anyway, I just said we'd see how he was today, this a.m he was ok, then tonight my son comes home from school "the fish has disappeared", again I search and I find him under the plant, in the bottom of the basket - SURELY he is dead??? NO!! But when he comes out he is just lying around on the bottom of the tank. The levels in the tank are fine and I've done nothing that I've not been doing all along. Tonight I have done a water change, gravel vac and cleaned the filter pads (in the tank water), and just see how it goes but again I have found him underneath the plant.

Why is he behaving like this?
keatingschick

Re: Strange Behaviour.

Postby Carylnz » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:08 am

There are some species of Betta that always look ragged and others are likley to have been attacked. Their fins are irresistible to many fish. If that is the case, they will regrow.
Bettas often do not move a lot as it is an effort to swim anywhere with such large fins so they like to rest a lot, either on the bottom or in floating plants.
Have you noticed a connection between his erratic floating and when he is fed?
Is he otherwise eating normally?
Have you tested the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
Has he improved after the water change?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Rob W » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:46 pm

You've had him 2 1/2 weeks? Sounds to me like he's settled in. Mine just wedges himself in a plant and stays there for hours or lies on the bottom or allows himself to get sucked against the filter inlet so he hangs there and doesn't have to swim. He's just laid back. As long as yours is eating OK and the water readings are fine I wouldn't worry. If he's not eating that's the time to worry. What do you feed him on?
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby keatingschick » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:12 pm

He eats very little, but always has done. My son would give him 1 pellet and I said that maybe he should add another if the fish ate it (cos it does say as much as your fish can eat in so long), so with his other we would add 1, then watch, add another and see if he ate it. Well this one has only ever eaten 1, he eats 1 and then sort of sucks the 2nd in and spits it out.
Earlier I went up and the fish was lay on the bottom and I thought it was dead. I put the net into the tank and he moved. So obviously he was fine. Now my son has just said the fish is dead but I've just been to check and he is just lay at the bottom. He just doesnt seem to swim around. The red one would swim slowly and gracefully around, but this one, over the last few days he just seems to lie on the bottom or in some little nook or cranny he could sneak into.
keatingschick

Postby Wallace » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:15 am

Sounds ok to me.

My Betta hides either at the very bottom of his tank between the base of his fake plant and fake grass, or wedged between the tank and filter. Comes out for a little swim every now and again, but mainly atnfeeding time.
184l Community tank | Juwel Vision 180 Planted tank in progress | 95l Temperate tank
60l Planted tank | 2 x 28l Aquastart 320 - 1 Rummynose tank and 1 Betta tank
Wallace

Postby keatingschick » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:34 am

Found him dead this morning. Not sure what was wrong but Ive suggested my son gets a fancy guppy and a few neons instead.
keatingschick

Postby Angel Fish » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:15 am

I'm sorry to hear about your Betta :(

A group of four, maybe five male Guppies would look good in the Chi, or if you can find them, then some Endlers would be fantastic. Like Guppies, the males are much more colourful :D
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby keatingschick » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:33 am

Yes, I've said to him that I think a couple of male guppies and maybe a few neons rather than the betta now if he wants to carry on with the tank.
keatingschick

Return to Bettas