male and female odd behaviour :(

A forum for all of your Betta / Siamese Fighting Fish questions...

male and female odd behaviour :(

Postby eastereggalternative » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:25 pm

I have a siamese fighter and a female betta who are really behaving strangely, I really hope they're not poorly.
He's been with us for a while now and has always swum happily round the place lazily, we did have a female in with him and they got on really well but she committed tank suicide one day (husband found her on the kitchen floor one day, really gutted we were) and he seemed really sad and lonely so after a few weeks we went to get another female. Now, the shop dude said all the females he had were due to breed. Introduced her and he really perked up, puffing out his gills and fanning his tail out in front of her. So, we were really pleased. Now she looks to have a puffed out right gil, not sure what thats all about. Anyway, the last few days all they do is hide around the tank, lying around on the bottom. Water fine, eating fine. Not constipated. Just now she was tipped up with her face in the sand and he was lying right next to her! She has changed colour and her stripes are now horizontal not vertical and her belly looks odd. He's been hiding in the boat mostly and was buried under a bush this morning!! Help? Advice!! Only other fish in tank are 3 zebra danios and they don't bother/seem to distress these two at all.
Sorry for any typos, am on my poxy mobile and can't actually see what I'm tryping!! Lol.

Oh, its only a 20L tank and filter is on low with jet aimed at the side.
I asked my daughter what she would like for Easter, the choice was an easter egg or a fish tank ... and so it begins!
eastereggalternative

Re: male and female odd behaviour :(

Postby bettaboy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Has your female got a little white tube like thing protruding from her anal vent? If so I'd introduce some floating plants and watch the bubble nest building begin. There is a chance that the danios are bullying the bettas on the sly, they are notorius fin nippers. Other than that, I'm stumped. Hope I've helped :)
bettaboy

Postby eastereggalternative » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:07 pm

We lost her last night :(
Only had her a week or so and noticed her funny gil when we put her in, must have been poorly from the beginning. Worst thing is my lovely male is showing signs of poorliness now, just hiding away in the boat and really not himself at all. Gutted.
I asked my daughter what she would like for Easter, the choice was an easter egg or a fish tank ... and so it begins!
eastereggalternative

Postby Angel Fish » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:36 pm

It's never a good idea to have male and female Bettas in a tank together unless it is a species tank and they have been conditioned to breed. They would almost certainly fight to the death, quite often the female the victor.

I agree that the Zebra Danios may also been part of the problem. They are probably a bit frustrated because a 20l tank is much too small for them and they prefer to be in larger groups.

The male may also be physically exhausted. Was he constantly flaring while the female was in there? It can be very stressful for them to keep flaring, so he may just be a bit low because of the stress.
Do you have any tall, broad leaved plants (real or fake) that he can rest on?
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby eastereggalternative » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:26 pm

When the female was in there he was fanning at her the first day and that was all, from then on they just followed each other around lazily, never aggressively, the danios had never bothered the bettas either and again never nipped either of them or chased them! I watch them a fair bit and the bettas did their thing and the danios did theirs, leaping around in the water flow and chasing each other round and round.
Yes lots of leaves and hidey places, he favours lying on the sand in the boat. Has been in there all day though, really hope he comes out tomorrow, poor old bluey has lost another bird :(
eastereggalternative

Postby RobtC » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Male Bettas are loners and see any other Betta (male or female) as an aggressor and that is why you see the flaring. Not because he is happy but because he wants to terrify his invader.
RobtC

Return to Bettas