More Tankmate questions!

A forum for all of your Betta / Siamese Fighting Fish questions...

More Tankmate questions!

Postby Scotty_Gilk_82 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:35 pm

Recently gave away my fish to move my tank over to my flat. Started again, and am adding some plants, an apple snail and shimp this week-end (quite excited). I want to start the tank with a shoal. I'm thinking harlequin rasboras or glowlight tetra? Would that be ok? Any other recomendations are welcome. Eventually I want a small shoal of corys in there too, but I'd like the fighter to be the centre fish. Also, would a red fin shark be compatible? Had 1 before and it was nocturnal. Hid in the cave all day and roamed about night. Feedback much appreciated guys. Thankyou.
Scotty_Gilk_82

Re: More Tankmate questions!

Postby m_attt » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:54 pm

what size tank would help :)
m_attt

Postby Scotty_Gilk_82 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:17 am

It's small, only a 35 litre. Got some plants, a couple of shrimp and couple of snails for it on Friday. Was thinking to add a small shoal this week-end. Iether glow light tetra or harlequin rasboras.
Scotty_Gilk_82

Postby RobtC » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:26 pm

I strongly suggest that you be very cautious when introducing new "tankmates". I surprised you have any snails as they are usually by Bettas.
RobtC

Postby Scotty_Gilk_82 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:30 pm

I put the betta in there Friday. With him so far is 3 Khuli Loaches, 3 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Cherry Shrimp, an apply snail, an assasin snail, quite a few pond snails. All appears healthy so far. The cherry shrimp produced some young, but the Betta ate them. Any suggested changes or future possible tankmates?
Scotty_Gilk_82

Postby thefishman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:42 am

I'm still new to this but I would say you've probably reached your limit in a 35Ltr tank but maybe some of the more knowledgeable people on the site can give you more information.
The Fish Man
thefishman

Postby JamesB » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:40 pm

You have an assasin snail with an apple snail? Bad idea.
JamesB

Postby Scotty_Gilk_82 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:02 am

It's now a siamese fighter, 2 harlequins, 1 khuli loach, 2 cherry shrimp, 1 apple snail, 1 zebra snail? . The fighter is the king of the tank and pesters everything. Surely it's nowhere near fully stocked. Any more suitable tankmateS?
Scotty_Gilk_82

Postby Angel Fish » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:48 am

A 35l tank can hold approximately 18inches of adult fish. You have:

1 x Siamese Fighting Fish @ 3inches
2 x Harlequins @ 2inches each
1 x Khuli Loach @ 4inches
2 x Cherry Shrimp - These don't have much of a bio-load, but are extremely sensitive to water conditions.
1 x Apple Snail - can grow up to 3inches (diameter), they also don't have a large bio-load. Not as sensitive as the Cherry Shrimp, but need very good conditions.
1 x Zebra Snail - can grow up to an inch. Are extremely good at cleaning algae - but need alga wafers too. They are good escape artists so need a tightly fitting lid.
(all sizes are approximate)

So you have 11 inches of adult fish.
I would add another Harlequin and leave it at that. Small tanks are very unforgiving and the smallest rise in Ammonia/NitrItes can knock it for six.
Or you could rehome, if possible, the Khuli - they are also happier in groups. This would give you a bit more space for some more Harlequins - giving you a nicer display.
It's so hard to keep a rein on things when you have a small tank. Personally, if it was my tank, I'd take everything out except the Fighter - but that's just what I would do :)
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Scotty_Gilk_82 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:26 am

It looks less stocked than 95% of tanks I ever see whether thier on here/pet shops etc. I did have 3 khulis. They hid most of the time and just have the odd turbo around. The cherry shrimp reproduced, but the fighter is always on the prowl for thier young, zebra snail hasn't escaped. I would get more harlequins, but Jeremy my fighter seems to hate them from time to time.
Scotty_Gilk_82

Postby Angel Fish » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:06 pm

Pet shops have huge great filters that turn the water over much more than our little domestic ones, so they don't have to worry too much about Ammonia spikes - they'll probably never see one. They also have many more fish then in a home aquarium because they won't have them when they get to adult size - most shops could probably sell a good proportion of their stock within a couple of months.

Like I said, if it were my 35l, (8 gallon-ish) I'd just have the Fighter in it :)
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Return to Bettas