fin rot/ maracyn2 + maracide

A forum for all of your Betta / Siamese Fighting Fish questions...

fin rot/ maracyn2 + maracide

Postby freesia » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:09 pm

Hello,
I bough betta three weeks ago. He has great appetite and swims a lot and he is full of energy, but problem is with his tail and dorsal thins. Tail fin is half missing. It looks like fin rot. I put malafix for 7 days, because got recommendation from pet store. I don't see improvement that the fins grow back. I read on line that Maracyn two is good medication. But I have questions:
1. Should I meditate him with maracyn two or repeat melafix for another 7 days?
2. Mardel recommends for fin rot to use: Maracyn Two with Maracide. Is this good mix or is better to use Maracyn Two with Maroxy?
3. The tank is not cycle, so when I put medications I have two make small changes of water. Any recommendation haw to put this medications, on what days?
Tank is 10 gal, with filter, heater, temp. 80F
I appreciate any answers
Thank you
freesia

Re: fin rot/ maracyn2 + maracide

Postby JamesB » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:44 am

1 question, is the betta on his own, does he have any tankmates that might bight his fins?
JamesB

Postby Carylnz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:35 am

What makes you so sure it is fin rot? Fin rot looks like the ends of the fins are rotting and go clear. Red streaks will form in the rays. They can get ragged fins without it being fin rot.
I would not be using any kind of medication on a tank still cycling. The meds are just as likely to kill the good bacteria in the filter as they are any disease.
Were the fins like this when you bought the fish or after you added it to an uncycled tank?
Fighter fins split often and will heal themselves with good water conditions. I suspect your water conditions may be the cause.
Is the fish on it's own or is there another fish nibbling on the fins?
What sort of decor do you have and any sharp rocks or plastic plants? Fighters easily catch their fins on both of these.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby freesia » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:05 am

He is only one in fish tank. When I bought him, he looked fine. I had a plastic plant when tail fin got damage a bit, so I throw away this plant. But after that he lost suddenly more tail like a half and upper fin is "fraying" around the edges with darken color. I am not sure if it is fin rot because I have no experience but I compared him to pictures that I found on line and looks similar. I am afraid he can loose tail fin and will be too late to put medications. This only makes me to think to medicate tank
freesia

Postby Carylnz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:43 am

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
I assume the tank is 3 weeks into cycling then?
Carylnz

Postby freesia » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:12 pm

I set up aquarium on Dec.1 and I put Betta in tank on Dec.3, so aquarium is 4 weeks old. However I took out filter insert 8 days ago, because I put in Melafix and yesterday I changed 30% of the water. The water was prepared 1 day before change.
The parameters are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 0
Ph 7.0
Total hardness between 25-75
Total alkalinity 300

The aeration stone is off because the pump is a bit noisy and I don’t want to stress him.
In tank are:
Aqueon water conditioner
Aquarium Salt
Nutrafin Cycle reduces fish loss (1/2 tsp.)
Melafix (1tsp.)
Temp. 80F

I want to upload video on YouTube, but on video he looks much better than in reality. I also noticed that he has white spots on his pectoral fins.
freesia

Postby freesia » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:42 pm

I posted on YouTube two videos; they’re not good quality but better than my words.
Last edited by freesia on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freesia

Postby Rob W » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Good news is he doesn't seem to have fin rot. Bad news is that your water test is wrong. Your water should show nitrates straight from the tap, and you use that reading as a base line to check the cycle is working properly, when you see nitrates rising steadily you know the cycle is complete. Your water test shows nitrates as zero and that's a concern. Aquarium salt? Don't get the need for that. Nutrafin cycle, well it can't do any harm but there's a debate as to whether it actually works, a tank will cycle well enough without it, melafix won't do any harm either.

His fins are a bit ragged, that could be due to the stress of a cycling tank but it's not really a cause for concern right now, long fins come with some drawbacks but at least he's active enough and you've got a nitrite reading and that's good, keep performing water changes so it doesn't get any higher until the reading falls to zero and nitrates go up. The white spots on his pectoral fins need to be checked, if he's got whitespot you'll need to treat it, and as there is only a short window in which it can be treated effectively, you need to diagnose that sooner rather than later, there's an article on the main site that explains how to diagnose it and treat it. :wink:
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby Carylnz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:52 pm

The nitrite shows your tank is still cycling. I am unsure what insert you removed from the filter. I hope you mean it was a carbon insert (which is correct to remove when using medication) and not the sponge (which is bad as that is where the good bacteria are growing).
It is hard to tell anything more from the video as it is not clear enough but the spots starting to appear may well be whitespot and another indication it is water quality causing the problems.
I would suggest extra water changes (daily) to get that nitrite to 0.
I see no need for the aquarium salt either as it is a fresh water species. Many seem to swear by it though :roll:
Carylnz

Postby freesia » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:09 pm

Thank you for your answers. I will do daily water changes.
The filter is Aqueon Aquarium Filter, there is only one cartridge, no sponge. Should I put it back?
Reg. Melafix Mardel recommends 1 tsp. per day for 7 days. I changed the water yesterday and added 1 tsp of Melafix, so if I change 25% of the water today should I add 1/4 tsp of the Melafix plus the 1 tsp daily dosage and so on?
freesia

Postby Carylnz » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:11 am

I had to look up that filter as it is not one I have ever seen. It looks like a hang on the back type and the site I looked at said it only has one cartridge. I would tell you to put it back as it is the cartridge the bacteria grow on but it also said the cartridge has carbon in it (I don't see how though). You can't medicate while using carbon as it removes the medication from the water.
As I rarely use medications myself I do not know how water changes affect dosing. Perhaps someone else can tell us?
Carylnz

Postby Rob W » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:00 pm

The label on the medication will tell you how much to add, if it tells you to dose say 10mls per 100 litres of tank water, if after dosing you take 20 litres out during a water change just add 2mls to the fresh water going in. If you have to redose the tank after a period of time, say 4 days, perform a water change if necessary and then redose the whole tank. Always follow the instructions on the label, some are different to others. If one type of meds doesn't work always wait a week before trying another. Try not to use meds long term. Remember that as a hobby, fishkeeping is a bit of a misnomer, you're actually keeping water, get the water right and the fish will do great. :wink:
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby freesia » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:35 pm

Thank you both of you. You were very helpful.
freesia

Postby freesia » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:25 pm

I am back, looking for help again. After white spots apeared on his pectoral fin I decided to treat with salt. I added aquarium salt to tank. At low salinity level he was Ok and looked like he enjoyed the salt, but at 3 tsp. per gallon his behaviour change and was clearly seen that salt rather davasted him. So I stopped adding salt and for one week did only water changes every day 30%. He got worse. Besides white spot on pectorals, small 2 lumps appeared: one on his head and one on body, also small 2 holes on his upper fin, and ragged tail fin, so I decide to medicated him. Because I thought that is ich I put Maracide on Monday. On Tuesday on his upper tip of tail white stuff appeared like fungus and upper fin got a lot worse. I looked at Mardel chart about fish diseases and the chart says to put Maracyn II for secondary infection, so I did it. Today he doesn’t looked better. He looks worse. Ends of his ragged tail are white and on the upper tip of his tail is white stuff, dorsal fin much more demaged. The ends of his tail are like glue together. Ich? Columnaris? Fungus? Fin rot? water? How to cure him?
He is very energetic; swim a lots and eats very well. I do water changes every day – 30% and redose tank.
Any help will be much appreciated.
freesia

Return to Bettas