Is my Betta normal?

A forum for all of your Betta / Siamese Fighting Fish questions...

Is my Betta normal?

Postby Marina » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi folks. I got my first betta about a week ago and have been concerned that he might not be well. What's normal for a betta? He spends most of his time in a quiet corner of the tank, up at the surface, where there is the least current from the tank's filter. I've not seen him eat anything, though I make sure there is a flake of food right by his head when I feed the rest of the tank. He does occassionally go for a swim into the main body of the tank, but soon returns to his spot. He's not getting harrassed by the other fish, which are quite peaceable. He's also blown a few bubbles which are on the surface of the water.

Is he okay? If he does live another week and we're confident he's okay, then we'd like to get him a mate. What's the proper ratio of females to males for Bettas.

Thanks for any advice to this betta novice.
Marina

Re: Is my Betta normal?

Postby Angel Fish » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Sounds perfectly normal to me - the fact he's blowing bubbles is a good sign :)

What other fish do you have?
How big is the tank?

It's not a good idea to add females to a tank with a male - the male will most probably be killed :shock:
If you want to breed Bettas, you will need a very specific setup with lots of available containers for any fry that survive. It's quite a time consuming and complicated business.
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Re: Is my Betta normal?

Postby Marina » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi thanks for your reply. The Alpha (my Betta!) seems to be getting stronger and more active, so we think he's doing okay. Some of his fins look a bit raggedy or frayed, but his behaviour is now relatively lively compared with when we first got him, so I think he'll be okay.

I didn't know that it was a whole technical thing breeding bettas, excuse my ignorance, I must read up on the subject. Meantime, we will postpone, perhaps indefinitely, getting Alpha a girlfriend.

Tank is 60 litres. His tank mates are neon tetra, silver tipped tetra, a corry, a plec, a blue rainbow fish and a ram. The ram is really well behaved and peaceful (I know from previous experience this is not always the case). The blue rainbow is the biggest and most active fish in the tank, but it doesn't bother the others. They all seem to get on quite well.
Marina

Return to Bettas