please help

A forum for all of your Betta / Siamese Fighting Fish questions...

please help

Postby lewbee » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi Im so worried about my betta. I have been looking up all night what could be wrong with him but Im not sure.

He has been erratically swimming like mad for 2 whole days. He swims back and forwards back and forwards for like ever unless he wants some air then he pops up and gets back to swimming. But its just worrying me because he is swimming like a nutter. He is also constantly flaring his long front fins it kinda looks like he is sometimes twitching because he stretches all his fins. He has also token to flaring at everything.

He has a heater and is at about 25 degrees celcius and he is in a five gallon fluval tank. But i did rescue Him from the tiny bowl my friend had him in. So Im not sure if he is happy or sick

I have a fluval chi and the filter isn't reli strong and he has no problems getting up for air. I used nutrafin aqua plus and cycle a couple of days before he went in. Ive had his a week now. So not sure if this is just how his personality is lol. I was reading about amonia poisoning Abd that says they turn lethargic and he defo the opposite.
lewbee

Re: please help

Postby englishmx » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:36 pm

If I have read this right, the Betta has been put in a new tank 1 week ago

Having been in for a week, the tank is now starting to cycle, I would imagine your Ammonia levels will be on the high side.

Best thing you can do is a 25% water change now (obviously with dechlorinated water) and get yourself a water test kit, this way you can monitor the 'cycling' process and water change accordingly thus keeping the water parameters at a safe level for your Betta
Mike...
englishmx

Postby lewbee » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks so much i have done it now and he's acting alot better. How often would you recommend i do partial water changes until i get test kit?and would i need to get separate kits for each parameter or can you get an all in one test kit? Ph has to be 7 right? And the rest less than one? Sorry Im total new to this i appreciate all the help.
lewbee

Postby englishmx » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:17 pm

I would repeat the water changes every 3 days until you get can get a test kit just to be sure. You can get a 'all in one' test kit, this is often the kit of choice....

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CEEQ8wIwAA

You can pick up one cheaper on eBay :wink:

Don't get hung up on PH at this stage, that is best left well alone
Mike...
englishmx

Postby lewbee » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:21 pm

Okies thanks. So when i test can there be any amonia or does it have to be none? Also how will i know when my tank has cycled? Is it just when everything is at 0?

Thanks again
lewbee

Postby englishmx » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:31 pm

This helps explain the basics of cycling...

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/cycling.htm
Mike...
englishmx

Postby lewbee » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Ah thanks man
lewbee

Return to Bettas