Female bettas

A forum for all of your Betta / Siamese Fighting Fish questions...

Female bettas

Postby Rob W » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:25 pm

Long story short, and for reasons that I don't really know myself, I decided to put a female in with my male betta over the weekend, put a Barry White CD on, and sat back and waited. And waited. And..... nothing. He flared up at her a few times but mostly just ignored her, she just enjoyed looking around his tank and stayed out of his way, then on day 2 they decided to have a bit of a domestic so I've moved her back out and into her old community again and he is once more home alone. Is getting them together such a pain all the time? How long should they stay together? Maybe some Michael Buble instead? Different partner? Any tips from anyone who's managed to get them to breed successfully?
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Re: Female bettas

Postby Angel Fish » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:48 am

Are you prepared for any fry if you do succeed with a pairing? Each baby will need its own home for a start :shock:

Unless you have the right setup and somewhere to sell them on to, then it's not really worth the heartache.
Also, it's not the male you have to watch, it's the female - they are prone to extreme aggression after pairing and will most probably eat any viable eggs and there is the possibility of her attacking and killing the male. You'd need to watch them the whole time.

Sorry to put a downer on things :?
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Rob W » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:07 pm

Well I've tried again and it's not happening. I think he's just happy on his own. Finding homes for the fry ain't a problem. :wink:
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby Angel Fish » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:57 am

It's not the new permanent homes that would be the problem, it would be having an individual, filtered and heated container for each individual baby while they're growing :shock:
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Return to Bettas