Torn Fins

A forum for all of your Betta / Siamese Fighting Fish questions...

Torn Fins

Postby Coco » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:04 pm

I have a Red Veiltail. A lovely happy boy until yesterday when I put some new plants in the tank. They were plastic, but I did the nylon stocking test and they didn't catch so I thought they would be okay, but today I noticed he has a tear in one of his fins and also a tiny hole. The tear is partway along the fin, not right up to his body. Needless to say, the plants are now out and I could kick myself for putting them in but I am so worried. Will he be okay and is there anything I should do to prevent infection or any other nasties?

ETA - he seems perfectly alright, eating and swimming around and as nosey as ever.
Coco

Re: Torn Fins

Postby san-ho-zay » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Without causing too much disturbance, just pay a bit more attention to tank hygiene while it's healing and it should be OK.

Watch out for signs of secondary infection such as fin-rot and fungus -- local inflammation, further fraying, fluffiness, etc.

Melafix is a common treatment for injury but I prefer natural healing if possible. I like to keep indian almond leaves on hand which are a nice gentle anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. They stain the water but this dissipates with water changes. Carbon also removes it when you are done.
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby Coco » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Thanks san-ho-zay Where would I get Indian Almond leaves from? I've just googled and they seem like something to keep on standby :)
Coco

Postby san-ho-zay » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:39 pm

There are usually loads on eBay, sometimes listed as ketapang leaves. For example:

http://stores.ebay.com/Amys-Ketapang-Inc

They keep pretty much indefinitely if you keep them dry and dust free.
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby Coco » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:48 pm

san-ho-zay wrote:There are usually loads on eBay, sometimes listed as ketapang leaves. For example:

http://stores.ebay.com/Amys-Ketapang-Inc

They keep pretty much indefinitely if you keep them dry and dust free.

Cheers. I'm going to order some right now :)
Coco

Postby Coco » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Big thanks to San-ho-zay. I bought the Indian Almond Leaves (massive aren't they?) and have been using them in the tank with my Betta. The tear is healing well and there has been no sign of fin-rot or fungus. I don't mind the yellowish tinge to the water at all and the cories in the tank love scrabbling about underneath. I'm a very happy Betta mum :D
Coco

Postby san-ho-zay » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:26 pm

I like good news :)

Sounds like your fish are enjoying them. There's no harm in using them all the time if you don't mind the colour.
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby Coco » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:45 pm

I was chatting with my LFD yesterday. He's a fish fanatic. I told him I'd been using the leaves and he poked around behind some stuff on his shelves, produced a packet and said 'These?' I had no idea he sold them and hadn't thought to ask :roll:

Anyway, I have another general question so I'll try and find the appropriate part of the forum for it. Thanks again :D
Coco

Return to Bettas