New guy here

A forum for all of your Betta / Siamese Fighting Fish questions...

New guy here

Postby Shyguy3232 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:49 pm

Hello all. I just joined this great community after a few weeks of reading quite a bit of the posts on here. I was wondering if any of the experienced Betta owners could give me a bit of advice/encouragement. I have a regular Betta, (a gorgeous red named Auron). He is in a five gallon bow front. It's has a standard five gallon filter with low impact (it doesn't create excessive water movement). It has a heater and a set of LED lights. I have two medium sized Anubis and a floating java moss anchored to a piece of styrofoam. I also have three amano shrimp, three ghost shrimp, and a small snail that snuck in with the Anubis. Everything has appeared to thrive for the last month(to me at least), but I wanted to get some opinions on my setup. Is this a good environment for all my critters to live comfortably? I can't get a bigger tank until I move in a year, but my number one goal is to make sure I'm not abusing my fish. I am currently doing one gallon water changes twice a week. If this is not a good setup, what changes would you recommend? I am all ears to any help I can get.
Shyguy3232

Re: New guy here

Postby Angel Fish » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Welcome to TTT :D

Sounds like you're doing a good job :D
Small tanks are a lot less forgiving than larger ones so if possible, try to temperature match the fresh, dechlorinated water before you put it in the tank - That way, you can avoid shocking the fish.

Apart from that, I can't see anything that needs changing :mrgreen:
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Shyguy3232 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:25 am

Update.
The ghost shrimp started to get too feisty. They chased auron around a lot, so I swapped them out for more calmer amanos. I bought a very small heater to acclimate my water for changes a day before I swap it out.

I was wondering what else I could add for more life. I cuerrntly have a Betta, five amanos, and a tiny snail in a five gallon. Are there any small compatible fish out there? Or could I possibly get away with a few cherry shrimp for color? I don't want to overstock, but a little more life would be nice. any personal experience would be great.
Shyguy3232

Postby Angel Fish » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:43 am

How long has the tank been set up?
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Shyguy3232 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:19 pm

I have had the fish in the tank for three months. The shrimp and plants were added gradually over the last two months. It is now a fairly heavily planted aquarium.
Shyguy3232

Return to Bettas