My betta has popeye PLEASE HELP

A forum for all of your Betta / Siamese Fighting Fish questions...

My betta has popeye PLEASE HELP

Postby Moo2 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:10 pm

My betta has never had any health problems until a couple of weeks ago, when I saw he was developing popeye. He has a hard "lens" around his eye that bulges out a bit. The water quality in his 5-gal tank is excellent, and the filter flow is gentle. I treated him with Maracyn-2 and while his eye didn't get worse, it hasn't gotten better. I am going to do another round of Maracyn-2, but I thought I'd ask for advice before I do. My betta has a great appetite and he is making a huge bubble nest and seems to be okay and in good spirits despite his eye. Can anyone please advise me? Thank you.
Moo2

Re: My betta has popeye PLEASE HELP

Postby Carylnz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:24 am

There are many causes for popeye from poor water conditions (the usual cause) to genetics, parasites, constipation or bacterial infections. Antibiotics will only help if it is a bacterial cause so you need to find the cause before you start treating. Maracyn 2 treats gram negative bacteria but if the fish has gram positive bacteria then the med is not going to help.
Often, by the time you see such symptoms, it is too late to help the fish, or you have no idea of the cause!
Is it one eye, or two, that are affected?
Popeye can also be caused by damage, tumours or Vit A deficiency.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Moo2 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:27 am

Thank you for your fast response. He has it in one eye. I give a few bits of peas about 2 or 3 times/mo because he likes them and I try to keep him regular. I feed him a mix of flakes, frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, and vegetable. I try not to overfeed him. What foods have Vitamin A. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Since he's active and happy is this illness fatal? I don't understand the gram positive or negative stuff. Should I try another med such as Melafix? Again, thanks so much for your help. I do appreciate it.
Moo2

Postby Carylnz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:07 am

I would not treat him with anything, since you don't know the cause, except make sure his water condition is as good as you can get it and see if the eye settles down again.
I doubt any fish fed on today's fish foods would have a vitamin deficiency as the foods are so carefully made.
If you are lucky, it will not be fatal and the eye will come right again.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Moo2 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:13 am

okay. sounds good to me. i'll leave him be and see what happens. thank you.
Moo2

Return to Bettas