Aquiring a nice healthy Betta ?

A forum for all of your Betta / Siamese Fighting Fish questions...

Aquiring a nice healthy Betta ?

Postby Mat » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:04 am

My son would like to keep a Betta in is 48l tank (current holds 2 white cloud minnows and 2 leopard Danios

We know he needs more minnows and danios as they like to shoal, but it's a newly cycled tank (Xmas prezzie), so we are adding just two fish a week and keeping a check on ammonia/nitrites while doing so.

But while looking around the local shops we really don't like the look of any of the Bettas for sale, quite bluntly they all look ragged and half dead, stuck in tiny little cubes :(

Does anyone know where in South Essex (we live in southend) we might be able to find a nice healthy looking betta, and maybe even one a little more exciting than a blue or red veiltail, which seems to be all the locals shops offer!

Mat
Mat

Postby pandacory » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Most lfs sell only veiltails. I have only ever seen 1 crowntail for sail in my lfs over 2 years.

Depending on what you want to spend the more glamourous Bettas are quite exspensive. Crown, halfmoon, double halfmoons can go for as much as £25 plus postage.
Here is a link to give you some idea of what you can expect to pay.
http://www.thebettalady.co.uk/
stuart

planted tank
3 oto's
6 lemon tetra
6silvertip tetra

marine setup fowlr
volitan lionfish
lemonpeel angel
crimson hawkfish
pajama cardinal

http://www.wix.com/tismeffs/sgaquariumcleaningservices
pandacory

Postby flossyfloofloo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:14 pm

try aquabid

this one is perticulary spectacular

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... 1264171871
flossyfloofloo

Postby Southgate » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:33 am

i have the same problem, i live in chelmsford and the only places that get bettas they are in terrible condition :(
BiOrb 60l

4x Black Tetra
5x Glowlight tetra
soon to have a betta
Southgate

Postby jcardoso » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:41 pm

That's so sad. It would make me want to purchase one and get him in good shape!!!
Janet's purposefully overstocked tank...3 Zebra Danios, 2 SAE's, 6 Platies, 6 Emerald Cories, 2 BN Plecos, Cardinal, Brass & Lapis Tetras, 10 Cherry Barbs, 2 Freshwater Gobies, 1 Apistogramma and 35 Amano Shrimp. <75 gallon (284 liters) planted tank>
jcardoso

Postby Mat » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:53 am

jcardoso wrote:That's so sad. It would make me want to purchase one and get him in good shape!!!

If it were for me I might agree and consider such a rescue a bit of a Challenge

but this betta will be going in my 10 year old sons tank, and I'd rather start him off with a healthy fish rather than risk the upset of loosing his fish almost straight away.

Mat
Mat

Postby corycor » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:20 pm

They look horrible because theyre stuck in 3 inch buy 3 inch cups. If you put them in a good tank they should perk up.

Is the betta going into the 48lt?
Correct me if im wrong but white cloud mountain minnows need a nice curent as they come from rivers and streams, while bettas need slow flowing water.
I am gone but will be back in the summer Muahahahaahahahahahahaha......
corycor

Postby Mat » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:35 pm

corycor wrote:They look horrible because theyre stuck in 3 inch buy 3 inch cups. If you put them in a good tank they should perk up.

Is the betta going into the 48lt?
Correct me if im wrong but white cloud mountain minnows need a nice curent as they come from rivers and streams, while bettas need slow flowing water.

The plan is for the Betta to go in the 48l, the WCMM are already in there, and seem happy enough, even though there is very little flow, the filter is an interpet PF1

If that would seriously be a problem, he could re-home the WCMM into my tank, although Im not sure they'd be better of with my tiger barbs :)

Mat
Mat

Postby krekra » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:26 pm

The two worries I would have about putting a betta in your tank is the temp and the company. The minnows are a colder water fish so they might not do well at the temps the betta would prefer. Although as long as its not super warm they should do OK. The Danios on the other hand might give him some trouble. The flowing fins of a betta might be a little too temptime for the danio and you might get some nippage going on. As long as you keep your temps at the high end of the minnow range and the low end of the betta range you should be OK and then make sure there are plants either real or fake to break up the lines of vision and give the betta some protection I think that might work out OK.

In truth though your tank is better then a plastic cup which is what the pet stores around here keep them in.
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Re: Aquiring a nice healthy Betta ?

Postby Arbuthnot » Thu May 24, 2012 8:34 am

Mat wrote:My son would like to keep a Betta in is 48l tank (current holds 2 white cloud minnows and 2 leopard Danios

We know he needs more minnows and danios as they like to shoal, but it's a newly cycled tank (Xmas prezzie), so we are adding just two fish a week and keeping a check on ammonia/nitrites while doing so.

But while looking around the local shops we really don't like the look of any of the Bettas for sale, quite bluntly they all look ragged and half dead, stuck in tiny little cubes :(

Does anyone know where in South Essex (we live in southend) we might be able to find a nice healthy looking betta, and maybe even one a little more exciting than a blue or red veiltail, which seems to be all the locals shops offer!

Mat

Male Bettas are best kept as a single fish. The male would possibly kill any other small community fish in the tank. They are bubble nest builders and when a nest is ready a female can be introduced. Once eggs appear in the nest the female should be removed. The male will tend the nest. Once the young hatch after couple of days they need to be separated into single tanks. Having a fish house, I used to use 300 jam jars for this purpose. This is why male Bettas are often kept in what is commonly known as a Fighter Barracks and not able to see the fighter in the next tank.
White Cloud Minnows require a lower temperature than the Danios and many other tropical fish. I always kept White Clouds as a species in a separate tank. They are easily bred by adding colder water to the tank. In their natural habitate they breed when the snow starts to melt and the colder water runs down the rivers.
Arbuthnot

Re: Aquiring a nice healthy Betta ?

Postby ChrisJ95 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:43 am

Fully understand what you‘re talking about. I live in Rayleigh and so I get most of my fish from Swallow aquatics on London Road. I got a betta from there a couple of months cack and he was the best looking one in there, as you rightly said the rest look all ragged and depressed, god knows what my Finley would look like now if he stayed there. I find that often they have one or two nice bettas which quickly become ydepressed, so it would be a matter of going back and looking every couple of days...
ChrisJ95

Return to Bettas