Pump and filter

A place to talk about your tanks, latest fish or share photo's

Pump and filter

Postby Manty2 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:02 pm

I have a Juwel filter 180 with internal filter. I am considering an external system. Interested in thoughts recommendations
Manty2

Re: Pump and filter

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:48 pm

I am in a different country so can't help with specific brands but I would expect all external filters to work well or they would not stay in business.
I am currently using a Jebo on my 250L which has been running trouble free for 7 or 8 years now.
Some of the really cheap models do not last as well and the plastic is thinner and more brittle so parts break more easily. You tend to get what you pay for. Have a play with one in the shop and see how it feel to you as you clip the hinges down, you can feel if they are flimsier than other brands. You also need to be able to get replacement parts easily.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Pump and filter

Postby markee » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:42 pm

First thing i did when i had my RIO 400 was rip out the internal, the Juwel internals are pretty good but i wanted to fit externals to cope with the overstocking i would be doing. You normally find most people tend to stick with the same brand provided they've had good experiences with them, me personally i use Fluval. Never had any problems with new ones, i had an old 205 leak a little on me a few years back but i'd bought it second hand so i replaced the outer seal and it fixed the leak, so just be careful if buying a used one. Depending on what you are stocking in your tank you could use a 206 or if you want a little bit extra turnover then a 306.
Stick with a 'branded' filter (Fluval, Eheim, AquaOne, etc), yes you'll pay a little bit more but i wouldn't to walk into my living room to find the contents of my tank emptied due to a 'bargain filter'.
markee

Return to Tank Talk