Tropiquarium68 reborn

A place to talk about your tanks, latest fish or share photo's

Postby cousin it » Fri May 28, 2010 6:22 pm

the intense light from the 150w mh has been very good for the plants, there has been a lot of fresh growth from most species unfortunately a couple of anubias have not faired as well but I have a few on standby just in case that happened.

another shot from the original area for an idea of how slow this plant is to fill in.
week 2

week 6

I am now finally able to follow the development of the roots and runners as one has reached the glass.

a full tank shot with the halide lamp over it, the light from the ada bulb apears very green in this shot.

I am now seriously considering keeping the mh light over this tank for the remainder of the start up period. silly light levels and no algae :twisted:
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby corycor » Sat May 29, 2010 10:24 pm

Wow, ive missed a lot while I was gone huh. To put it in words, it looks amazing, gota hand it to you Daran :wink:
I am gone but will be back in the summer Muahahahaahahahahahahaha......
corycor

Postby cousin it » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:16 pm

thank you :) after the light causing a set back another slight disaster happened, I had mixed up some flourish excel and water to treat some pieces of wood to rid them of algae for use in the dennerle cube but forgot to mark the mister bottle so that i did not mist this tank with it :(
the moss went very brown over night, the anubias suffered very badly and had to be relocated to another tank to recover.
but this week I finally recieved the spare parts I needed to repair the light unit and have now removed the halide and replaced it with the power compact pendant which the moss and the other plants are far happier about, there is not fresh healthy growth apearing from the moss and plenty of runners coming from the rest.

the full tank shot showing the brown moss after being given some excel :oops:

i have decided that a few more weeks will be needed before the final fill up but it will be worth the wait . . . . I hope :mrgreen:
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby cousin it » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:15 pm

have taken a little bit of a gamble with the Lilaeopsis brasiliensis to try and encourage it to fill in a few gaps faster, I trimmed it down by 50% in a similar maner to what I do to get hairgrass to fill in faster, either this will work or i have just destroyed all the work so far :roll:
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Re: Tropiquarium68 reborn

Postby cousin it » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:53 pm

A quick update on this tank, it is still without water due to having to do a lot of repairs around my home following 2 floods, but now I have nearly finished the major work on that side and the tanks can now get a little bit more attention, hopefully this tank will actually contain fish or shrimp again in the next month or so.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby cousin it » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:24 am

following recieving a nice letter from the tax man this morning saying you have paid us too much here have some money, I am contemplating transfering this layout into a new tank more suitable to breeding crystal rad shrimp in, during the rebuilding work on my home I lost a lot of crystal red shrimp I had that were in an open topped tank this has made me cautious about keeping any more in a similar tank so today I get the fun of tank shopping for a rio125 or similar sized tank 8) and all the planting work done on this one will have to be re-done for that tank :?
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby m_attt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:08 pm

emperor tropicals were selling juwel tanks of cheap, either half price or free cabinets :)
m_attt

Postby cousin it » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks for that :D
have done a tour of the local shops including Emperor tropicals, a rio125 without stand for £205 seemed to be the best price, I already have the stand for it as I purchased one when I started this incarnation, just need to contact greenmachine for some more aquasoil and a film background and then it will be play time :lol:
Also a few of the pieces of equipment I picked up for this tank will not work with the replacement there will be a few nice bits of ADA equipment and a few light units available in the near future.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby cousin it » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:15 pm

The tank is now on order, decided to get the stand at the same time as I can use that to house the aquaruim computer system and co2 bottles for the tanks in the living room in it. Should arrive on Tuesday.
I have ordered more Aquasoil from Greenmachine for the new tank.
As this tank is going to directly replace the Tropiquarium 68 I thought I might continue the development of its evolution in this thread, most of the contents of the tank are goinng to be transferred across to the new tank including the aquascape, most of the plants will be transferred as well although I think this time I will only be using the Lilaeopsis brasiliensis for the foreground.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby cousin it » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:29 pm

The Rio 125 arrived today and I recieved an email from Greenmachine to say that the extra aquasoil has been shipped.

This evening was spent removing the Juwel filter from the new tank and fixing some frosted fablon to the rear of the tank, the plants have been removed from the tropiquarium and placed into the rio 400 to keep them safe whilst I remove the substrate and sort out the hardscape for the new tank, pictures will follow as soon as the tank has been positioned on the stand and the hardscape has been sorted, although the substrate will need resetting up like I did at the start of this set up fortunately I have enough left over from that to setup the substrate for this tank in exactly the same manner.

It looks like I have an ADA 12mm lily pipe, ADA 12mm glass inflow, 2x power compact luminaire and a aquamedic 150w mh unit with ADA bulb spare now these will be listed in the for sale section in the next few days.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Tropicalfishlover » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:38 am

Beautiful set up, i think after reading through this section you may have encouraged me to try out some planted tanks. I have always loved the beauty but have
never delved that far into it. Thanks for the motivation!
100g (378L) Africans
75g (284L) 2 Bn pleco, Various Tetra,Neons,Corey Cats
55g (208L) Flower Horn,Silver Dollar
46g (175L) FLowerhorn
37g (140L) Escondido Cichlid
36G (136L) Cln Loach, Tiger barbs
30g (113L)
20g (75L)Red Wags,Ghost shrimp
Tropicalfishlover

Postby cousin it » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:48 pm

thank you for the compliment :) both about the layout and the fact it has given you the urge to try a planted tank for yourself :D Dwarf cichlids do very well in planted tanks :wink:

The delivery driver arrived with perfect timing today, just as I was having a coffee break from transferring the substrate and hard scape across to this tank there was a knock on the door and I was presented with a nice box of ADA goodies from Green machine :mrgreen: my extra substrate arrived and so did the latest ADA catalogue, how better to spend a coffee break than some enjoyable reading, I can highly recomend the current catalogue it is far more than just a list of products there are some fantastic step by step guides and plenty of inspiration for people thinking about starting up a tank of this type. handy for me too as two of my big tanks a Rio 400 and a Rio 300 are due to be rescaped in the near future :roll:

As I have reciently shut down a couple of my nano tanks while there is a lot of decorating work going on I had a couple of extra pieces of ADA old black wood spare, I am going to see if they can be worked into the aquascape.

I had better get back to sorting out the substrate, will just read one or two more pages first, I can put it down any time I want to, honest I can :rofl:
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby cousin it » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:20 am

After a fairly busy day,a frosted background fitted to the new tank, the tropiquarium shut down and the substrate and hardscape transferred to the new tank, I am now sat here looking at the progress so far and playing with positioning of the rocks and extra wood to see how it can evolve.
here is a picture of the tank as it is now.
the glass needs a wipe down once I have finished but the rocks and wood still need a little adjustment to look right, then I have the fun of planting all the foreground all over again yippee :crazy4:
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby cousin it » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:51 pm

after spending even more time adjusting the hardscape I have settled on this.
it should suit the final planting idea that I have for the tank, now to trim up and plant the foreground.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby m_attt » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:30 pm

looks good, if you slope the substrate from front to back it will give a better perception of depth
m_attt

PreviousNext

Return to Tank Talk