Tropiquarium68 reborn

A place to talk about your tanks, latest fish or share photo's

Re: Tropiquarium68 reborn

Postby cousin it » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:33 pm

if the tank wasnt viewed from 2 directions the substrate would be sloped that way, unfortunately the right hand side of the tank has to also be a semi foreground, which is the reason behind the substrate sloping the way it does
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Carylnz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:33 pm

You know you love to do all the planting :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby cousin it » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:22 am

have spent 4 hours sorting and planting the Lilaeopsis today, I enjoy planting them the pinsets make life really easy, the sorting out the good from the bad that I removed from the other tank took the majority of the time, arranging the plants on a plastic tray like a painters pallet speeds things up, plus a glass of water to wash the tips off in helps.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby cousin it » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:18 pm

I have just managed to pick up 2 more pairs of spring scissors for delicate pruning for the bargain price of £10 for both sets delivered, fly fishing supply shops on ebay sell them quite cheaply.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby cousin it » Tue May 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Thought it was over due an update on this tank :oops:

The T5 lights that came with the tank have been replaced with a set of TMC LED lights with a dusk to dawn control unit fitted plus one of their led moonlight strips, I was given a Kamoer 3 channel dosing unit for xmas and I currently have this set to dose 7ml of ADA step 2 and 7ml of K every day a couple of hours before the lights come on, I have been very impressed with this unit, once calibarated carefully it is as accurate as the one I have on my aquatronica.

The planting has been played with heavilly over the last few months while I find a combination I like, the tank did suffer from a fairly major blue green algae issue during the cycling process and at one point I did consider stripping the tank down and starting again, then one morning the lights came on and all traces of it was gone, nothing had been changed with the tank but the algae was nowhere to bee seen. A few anubias still show signs of black hair algae they developed during the bga attack and once they have produces sufficient leaves to not look naked after trimming I will remove the affected leaves.

The tank is now home to a group of Chilli Rasboras some Ottos and a group of Scarlet badis plus an unknown amount of cherry and sakura shrimp though the Badis seem to be keeping their population under control by hunting baby shrimp.

I will add some updated pictures of the tank once I have uploaded them from the camera.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby cousin it » Tue May 29, 2012 8:04 pm

One of the Scarlet Badis that currently occupy the tank, I am hoping to get them to breed if they havent already started as the females have been hiding in the plants a fair bit reciently.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby cousin it » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:33 pm

This tank is still going well, the wood has settled slightly and some of the plants have now hidden the rockwork.
Here is a picture of the tank as it currently looks.
The plants in the background have just been pruned to try and get some better shape to them, but I thought I would get a quick snap before I mow the hairgrass foreground.
It is now illuminated by 2 tmc 1500 tiles.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:47 pm

That is looking beautiful! Very peaceful.
Hairgrass is something with which I have not had success.
Carylnz

Postby cousin it » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:48 pm

It is a very relaxed tank, all the fish in it are tiny, ember tetras and ottos are the largest species, although they all vanished when the camera came out.
Hairgrass can be a little tricky to begin with but once settled into a tank it takes very little care to keep it looking good, Usually about 2 weeks after initial planting I will trim it to half its height to start it spreading from then on I tend to brush it with an old tooth brush once a week to remove debris and any algae that might be forming in it and about every 6 weeks or so once established I cut it to 50% of its height to encourage thick growth. The right side has reciently been pruned and the left side has not been pruned since planting, the difference in growth shows fairly well as the pruned area has thicker growth and the area that has not been pruned that way is a bit more patchy.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:36 am

My biggest problem was larger fish that tended to rip it up!
Carylnz

Postby cousin it » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:53 pm

My angelfish waited until I had finished planting a 4' tanks foreground before ripping up and eating all of the hairgrass I had spent many hours planting a few years ago :angry:
Now I only use it in tanks with tiny fish.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby markee » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:34 pm

I'm not normally able to view pictures in threads on my work computer so haven't visited this thread for quite a while, today i can see pictures, and i'm glad i can as well because that tank is stunning. If you couldn't see the tank glass it would look like it was a pic of outside somewhere, perhaps the edge of forest.
markee

Postby cousin it » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:39 am

Thank you, the plants in the background are slowly filling in again after a severe trim, with a little luck the tank should look right very soon.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Previous

Return to Tank Talk