Last fish??

A place to talk about your tanks, latest fish or share photo's

Last fish??

Postby Gary fergusson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:59 pm

I've been delibirating for a few weeks now on which fish to complete my first aquarium. They would be living with -
6 Harlequin Rasbora
4 zebra Danios
3 Tiger Barbs
2 Western Rainbow
1 Cherry Barb
1 flying Fox
1 Chinese Algae Eater

I've thought about adding some more Tiger Barbs as I know they should be kept around 6 minimum to avoid fin nipping, but to be honest they seem quite happy as a 3 and they don't bother the other fish and I would like something a bit different to the rest of the population.
Thanks for any help on this hard decision!
Oh and it's a 4 foot by 1 foot aquarium with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and around 40 nitrate.

Thanks
Gary
Gary fergusson

Re: Last fish??

Postby Carylnz » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Since you already have a rainbow species, what about a Boesemani?
It is hard to offer advice as availability of species seem to differ greatly from area to area and we have no idea what you can get hold of (especially people like me who are also in a different country!).
I would up the number of harlequins and/or get the cherry barb some mates. Harlequins do not really show their true colour or behaviour until put in a 6ft+ and be in a group of 50 or more, then they are stunning!
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Gary fergusson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:38 pm

Hi and thanks for the reply. Can't say I have heard of your suggested boesemani, I'll google it! I also agree that more Harlequins would look great but don't think I'll be able to get another 50 in there :D . What do you think is the most that I could add to my aquarium? I've also looked at Gouramies as I have read that the Blue Gourami would be compatible. I understand that your available fish stock is going to be probably a bit different to mine, but this is where I go (www.a-zaquatics.com) if you get time to take a look, they seem to have a pretty good variety.
Thanks again for the reply
Gary
Gary fergusson

Postby Carylnz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:28 am

Gouramis would be a good choice but not the blue. They seem to be more aggro than the others. I would suggest orange, lace or pearl gouramis (different names in different places). When I get the time I will have a look at the other fish available at that place.
You can add quite a few more fish to your tank at this point. I would suggest about 10 of similar size or a trio of gourami size.
Carylnz

Postby Gary fergusson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:04 am

Thanks for that. I won't be adding anymore until next weekend at the earliest.

Cheers
Gary
Gary fergusson

Postby Gary fergusson » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:13 am

Decided to return the Chinese algae eater as he was an aggressive little swine and added 4 peppered cory.
Gary fergusson

Postby Carylnz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:38 am

I had Chinese algae eaters years ago and never had problems with them but in the past 15 years or so they seem to have developed a vicious streak!
Carylnz

Postby markee » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:59 am

Gary fergusson wrote:Decided to return the Chinese algae eater as he was an aggressive little swine and added 4 peppered cory.

Keep an eye on your Flying Fox as it matures as well :wink:
markee

Postby Gary fergusson » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:12 pm

Unfortunately no need to keep an on my flying fox as he died a few days ago and rightly or wrongly I held the Chinese algae eater responsible. Shame really as the flying fox was my first fish and it was entertaining to watch him trying to mix it with the Tiger Barbs, I'll probably get another one at some point.
Gary fergusson

Postby markee » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Sorry to hear it :(
markee

Return to Tank Talk