My beginner aquarium.

A place to talk about your tanks, latest fish or share photo's

Re: My beginner aquarium.

Postby Darryl1984 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Well in now the proud owner of 4 guppys, 2 platys and a stunning veil betta and a fish that sticks to the glass. Ive forgotten what kind he is. Everyone seems to have settled in nicely. Will mabey add somemore small fish once a good few weeks have passed and the tank can handle them . Pics will follow. :o :D :D
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:45 am

Not sure how stunning the veil tail will remain in with those fish but good luck. Looking forward to pics.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:33 am

I did have my concerns to be honest but he still has all his fins and seems to be totally disinterested in the other fish. I can believe how fearless the other fish are of him. Im sure my male platy fancies him. He floats by his side practically against him and sticks with him lol. Even during feeding time they all behave. Lol. Im hoping all is well due to there beingnotto many other fish.

Heres some betta pics.
http://s916.photobucket.com/user/Darryl ... %20project
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:03 pm

I realise you did not ask for a critique but you are going to get one. Do not take it the wrong way!
I suggest you change to a more natural gravel. Being that bold colour means it is harder to see the similar coloured fish. Your betta especially will really stand out against a dark brown gravel.
Plastic plants are known to shred veiltails as they swim over them, or past, them.
Make sure the betta gets his fair share of food. They cannot swim as fast as the other fish and he may miss out.
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:34 am

I welcome all feedback. Im afraid the choice of gravel was out of my control. Lol my wife never wanted an aquarium in the livingroom and this was the compromise. The gravel matches the colour scheme of the room. Lol I totaly understand the issue with the plastic plants and are only in there as theywere in the old tank and it was to help the good bacteria grow when the tank was new. They will be getting chucked out in a week as that will make the tank 4 weeks old.

Apart from that do you think do you think it looks ok. Il be adding more plants for lots of cover of the fish. My betta gets feed separate lol. I feed the others at the other side to make sure he gets his feed. To be honest he doesn't really eat that much. He took some this morning, swam down then it looked like he spat some out lol.

Many thanks.
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:00 am

It is no good asking for comments on a tank which will shortly look totally different!
I understand the need for compromise but coloured gravel, ornaments and plastic plants are not my taste at all.
Looking forward to seeing it once it is fully planted.
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:14 pm

Not been on for a few day so thought id update on some issues ive been having.

Firstly im gutted that ive had to take my betta out and house him in his own 12 litre tank because my guppys suddenly took a disliking to him for no apparent reason and started attacking his tail everytime he swam past. He never bothered any of the other fish but heh, I guess thats just the way it goes.

Secondly the main tanks ph level had been dropping to 6.5 and down as low as 5 for some reason. Nitrites were high to. Started doing daily water changes of 30/50% and gutted out the gravel and it seemed to settle. Havnt had ph issue's since but still getting the odd high level of Nitrites. The small tank with just the betta seems to be the worse for rises in nitrites and the bigger seems to have settled. Just trying to keep on top of it.

Fish are doing well. No apparent problems. All eating, pooping and swimming. I offen worry about the betta being on his own but I think hes settled in ok.

Concidering going to see the new stock in my local pet shop on friday and mabey even rehome some neons and platys.
Darryl1984

Postby SparkyST » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:41 pm

I would wait until your nitrite are at 0 before adding more fish otherwise you will make things worse. The tank is still cycling hence the rise of nitrites in the tank
SparkyST

Postby Darryl1984 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:13 pm

I totaly agree. My excitement was getting the better of me lol. :roll:
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:17 pm

Well I did try to tell you, back when you first said you had added a betta to the guppies. :wink:
The guppies find the long flowing tails irresistible and will nibble any chance they get.
As said, let the tanks finish cycling before doing more.
Smaller tanks are always harder to stabilise than larger ones :?
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:43 am

Carylnz wrote:Well I did try to tell you, back when you first said you had added a betta to the guppies. :wink:
The guppies find the long flowing tails irresistible and will nibble any chance they get.
As said, let the tanks finish cycling before doing more.
Smaller tanks are always harder to stabilise than larger ones :?

It was that very night they started nipping at him. You must of jinxed it lol. For such a wimpy looking fish they certainly gave it a hard time lol. Yeh it wait till the levels settle a bit more before adding more fish.
Darryl1984

Postby Darryl1984 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi everyone. Having issues with mega high nitrite levels in the main tank. I 20/30% waterchange every day and the levels never come down. Today I done a 60/70% water change and the gravel was given a good sooking to get all the dirt out it. This was about an hour ago and ive just tested the water again and its still high. Red on the chart. Ammonia is fine and ph is 6.5/7 which its always been. Any advice.

The nitrite have bn high in the 12ltr tank too but the 80% water change seems to have sorted it for the time being.

All advice welcome. Many thanks.
Darryl1984

Postby SparkyST » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:24 pm

I suspect you have stocked your tank too quickly whilst it was still cycling. Keep up with the water changes.

Nitrite is produced from the bacteria breaking down the ammonia and then the bacteria that break down the Nitrite will start to break that down also but when the tank is stocked too quickly the levels will rise until the bacteria levels increase in your filter.
SparkyST

Postby Darryl1984 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:36 pm

I know I totally ignored your advice the last time and went and bought some Neons so I apologise.

I hoover the gravel every water change but I can't believe how much shit it still lifts. Lol.

Don't think I intend to put any more fish in the tank anyway. 2 platys, 4 guppies and 6 tiny Neons.

Here's a random question, see the water conditioner, are you only treating the amount of new water going in or the amount of water capacity of the tank?

Thanks for the good advice again.
Darryl1984

Postby SparkyST » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:39 pm

The water conditioner (de-chlorinator) you should only treat the new water going in as the water in the tank should be chlorine free. If its not it will kill the bacteria in the tank and start the cycling again.
SparkyST

PreviousNext

Return to Tank Talk