new 300 litre aquarium

A place to talk about your tanks, latest fish or share photo's

new 300 litre aquarium

Postby steve008 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi,
have just set up 300 litre aquarium, I also have 180 vision which I have had for 5 years which is now my sons. I rinsed all the dirty sponges out into my new tank its full of plants amazon, hygrophilia, pogostemon, limnophilia sessiflora spelt most of those wrong lol . tank has been running for 4 weeks now put rummy nose tetra in last week 6 altogether and bristlenose. This week added just 4 corys, have done a test on water everything is bang on then to my horror a baby snail on glass have picked just 1 out every 4 days I don't seem to be over run , feeding fish very little as I don't want hundreds of snails, baby snails are so hard to identify what I have found they have very dark shells, have recently got 1 assassin snail,, which I know is not enough for 300 litre but I am hoping that there are not many snails in tank, would you buy a lot more assassin snails or leave it for the time being, don't want to use chemicals, or start all over again as water is perfect, any one have any advice or have had the same thing, wont be buying from maidenhead aquatics ever again, should of stuck with aqua essentials and my local aquarium shop for plants
steve008

Re: new 300 litre aquarium

Postby cousin it » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Snails are a natural part of an aquarium in my opinion, so long as there is not excessive food available to them they should not become a problem, in fact they can often help the tank by converting uneated food and dead plant matter into fertiliser for the plants.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Rockfish » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:28 pm

I'd agree, snails don't have to be viewed as 'bad' necessarily, although admittedly they can look unsightly in large numbers.

It can be a bit harder to control them where there are 'organic' food sources such as plants and bogwood in a tank, but careful feeding plus your roaming assassin snail will probably keep numbers in check. If the population does explode, then a small group of certain loach species is pretty much a guarantee of a snail-free tank, as well as adding an interesting fish in its own right to the mix.

I wouldn't judge the supplier too harshly, snail larvae would be very hard to spot and the only way to make certain there are no snails or larvae would be to treat the plants with harsh chemicals (as many importers do) which can them make them toxic for shrimp, etc.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby steve008 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:50 pm

Rockfish wrote:I'd agree, snails don't have to be viewed as 'bad' necessarily, although admittedly they can look unsightly in large numbers.

It can be a bit harder to control them where there are 'organic' food sources such as plants and bogwood in a tank, but careful feeding plus your roaming assassin snail will probably keep numbers in check. If the population does explode, then a small group of certain loach species is pretty much a guarantee of a snail-free tank, as well as adding an interesting fish in its own right to the mix.

I wouldn't judge the supplier too harshly, snail larvae would be very hard to spot and the only way to make certain there are no snails or larvae would be to treat the plants with harsh chemicals (as many importers do) which can them make them toxic for shrimp, etc.

Hi,
thanks for the advice not seen a snail for 3 days now, so hopefully assassin has taken care of what few were there
steve008

Re daran

Postby steve008 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:23 pm

whose this daran idiot who always replies theres always one, we all have to start somewhere
steve008

Postby Rockfish » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:06 am

You are kidding right? You do realise that phrase is just part of his signature and not directed at you or anyone in particular? :?
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby steve008 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:39 pm

hi,
sorry if that is the case I take it back I miss read the message
steve008

Return to Tank Talk