discus behaviour

A place to talk about your tanks, latest fish or share photo's

discus behaviour

Postby steve008 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi,
brought a 300 litre aquarium 10 weeks ago, have added lots of plants, and added 6 neon tetras last week and 6 rummy nose the week before , just got 4 corydoras this week, I squeezed the old dirty sponges from my old tank which is about 5 years old now to start the cycle , tested the water everything spot on, going to add some discus in the next few weeks, a bit put of when I read a lot of people have had there neons or rummy nose attacked and eaten by the discus I always thought they were compatible with discus any one had this experience with discus, may be put larger fish in to prevent this , any comments or ideas would be appreciated
steve008

Re: discus behaviour

Postby cousin it » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:30 pm

hi
Discus have been known to eat neons and younger rummy nose tetras, I have watched mine hunt them down in the early morning just before lights on when the tetras are roosting and are easy targets, I have also experienced one mature discus take a dislike to a particular strain of cories and proceed to attempt to kill any of that type it saw, but at the same time ignoring the other strains in the tank :?
I would be tempted to replace the neons with cardinal tetras and allow them a few months growing time prior to adding discus to the tank, this should reduce the risk of them becoming breakfast.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Re: discus behaviour

Postby steve008 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi,
many thanks for the advice
steve008

Return to Tank Talk