ADA 60h project

A place to talk about your tanks, latest fish or share photo's

ADA 60h project

Postby cousin it » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:04 pm

After several years I decided to rescape my Juwel Lido 120 tank due to the wood in it starting to break up, since I set the tank up TMC released their Signature range of tanks which have had my interest for a while now. I had a look around several online retailers and noticed one large UK supplier offering a 600mm x 450mm x 450mm version with clear silicone, perfect I thought until I spoke to a local shop and was informed that in that size clear silicone was definitely not an option :cry: . I gave the options a bit of thought and had a quick look at options only to find that I could pick up an ADA 60H tank which is 600mm x 450mm x 450mm for almost the same price as a signature would cost, perfect :mrgreen: .
A carbon grey TMC Signature stand is now on order and I have started to assemble parts to get the new tank set up.
The first item I have purchased is an Ecotech Marine Radion XR15 FW Led light unit, A programmable spectrum led light unit, I have had a quick look at the software to configure it and it looks like a very nice piece of equipment, even happier as I got it at a black Friday price on new years eve.
Now I just have to be patient and wait for the rest of the parts to arrive.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Re: ADA 60h project

Postby Carylnz » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:57 am

We will have to be patient too as we wait for updates as you begin :mrgreen:
Two or 3 years ago there were a few keen people using black silicone and it looked really good! A pro for black was the algae was harder to see on it ;-)
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Rockfish » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:39 am

Had one of the freshwater Radion units to play with as a demo (had to give it back though!), very nice piece of kit.

I think (neatly applied) black silicone can look really good on the right tanks and definitely avoids the staining or algae-creep issues on older tanks.

Not sure why clear silicone wouldn't be an option on the size tank mentioned though?
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby cousin it » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:01 am

As I play around with the settings on the Radion more the more I really like it, I currently have it set to an 8 hour photo period with a 20% chance of cloud in the afternoon with a 5% chance of a storm, the sunrise period is set at 2700k changing to 6500k for the majority of the photoperiod then swapping back to a sunset of 2700k before entering the lunar cycle, It really is amazing just how much control over how the light works you have, and when I did some maths it was cheaper than my other led setups once I had added sunrise/ sunset controllers.

My reason behind wanting clear silicone on the tank over black was purely down to the glass being used is optiwhite low iron glass which is very clear from infront but also edge on it is very clear, when looking at 2 tanks side by side the clear silicone one looked preferable to me over the black, the silicone work on the TMC tanks is very very good hardly any silicone is visable inside the tank and the black silicone does look very smart for general use, but for the style of aquarium I have planned for this project it was just not an option, I have a very good idea in my head about how it should end up looking, hopefully my ability will match my expectations :rofl: .
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:48 pm

Aha, with the opti white you definitely need the clear silicone. Looking forward to progress!
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby cousin it » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:02 pm

The first issue has just been resolved, the Radion light unit I got had a firmware issue causing it to fail when dimming, top quality service from Homeleigh aquatics at Launceston and I had the unit swapped out after a quick phone call explaining what was happening, I also collected the stand for the tank today, now just need to do the modifications to the stand to make it easier to do filter maintenance.
Hopefully picture updates soon.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby markee » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:45 pm

I had a panic attack then when i saw about the clear silicone as i'm going with clear on my tank! Is it purely down to the look or can you not use it on opi-white glass?
Last edited by markee on Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markee

Postby cousin it » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:59 pm

Tmc only offer the size I want in black but supply other sizes of opti white glass tanks with clear, I am not sure why they do not offer clear as an option in this size but other mfrs offer clear on much larger tanks and I have not heard of any issues with those.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby markee » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:49 pm

Phew, my new tank is coming with clear silicone so just making sure :lol:
markee

Postby Rockfish » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:14 pm

Ha! Yes, I originally read it as "not an option" for some serious reason rather than "not an option" from that manufacturer!

That's one advantage of doing custom tanks, you can do whatever is required - well, within reason!

Speaking of which, we had a customer phone recently acting on behalf of a client, asking for a tank 900cm tall... We asked, do you mean 90cm? Or maybe 900mm? He was quite certain it was 900cm, until we pointed out that's about the same height as a two-storey house, at which point he decided he'd better double-check... :rofl:
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby SparkyST » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:21 am

Rockfish wrote:Ha! Yes, I originally read it as "not an option" for some serious reason rather than "not an option" from that manufacturer!

That's one advantage of doing custom tanks, you can do whatever is required - well, within reason!

Speaking of which, we had a customer phone recently acting on behalf of a client, asking for a tank 900cm tall... We asked, do you mean 90cm? Or maybe 900mm? He was quite certain it was 900cm, until we pointed out that's about the same height as a two-storey house, at which point he decided he'd better double-check... :rofl:

Could you imagine the look on their faces when a lorry turned up to deliver their tank! :rofl:
SparkyST

Return to Tank Talk