The slate!

A place to talk about your tanks, latest fish or share photo's

The slate!

Postby jzaine » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:59 pm

I just added the red slate into the tank, after boiling and cleaning it.

Here are 2 pics of it.

"We feel your passion through and through, Philadelphia fans I love you." Harry kalas 1936-2009
jzaine

Postby krekra » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:56 pm

well I think the red slate would look better on a more natural colored gravel....every consider swaping it out all together for natural dark colored stone??

BTW your shark is a bit plump he must have just eaten :lol:
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby jzaine » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:19 pm

That he did. my story in the General chat about the guppy trying to take the disk was just before this. He likes the slate as do the guppy's.

I haven't considered swaping it for a new more natural gravel but have though about sand, just want to get everything straight first.
"We feel your passion through and through, Philadelphia fans I love you." Harry kalas 1936-2009
jzaine

Postby jzaine » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:25 pm

How would I go about changing it to sand without harming the barteria balance or the fish? I still have to let the drift wood settle first.
jzaine

Postby Apistogramma » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:53 am

Here's an idea, change it one section at a time, say a quarter at a go in strips working your way down the tank.
I do like your red slate! It will look even more lovely on a natural base with a few plants... :D
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby krekra » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:09 am

Its not that big a tank so I think it would be easier doing it in thirds from one end. Sand has a nice look but you have to be careful not to suck it up in the sipon by accident. It can also be harder to keep your fish from uprooting your plants although you should be OK with the fish you have.
Karena

krekra

Postby David » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:42 am

Exactly what i did with a 30" tank Bex!!!

Every two weeks whilst doing a water change i would take the gravel out and add sand. Get a 2l bottle to put some washed sand in, cut he bottom and put the funnel bit with the top into the tank to the desired position. Then release the top and sand will go into the designated place without getting anywhere else! :)
Like the cave!
David

Postby jzaine » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:56 am

Thanks. I will probably do what krekra said and leave a stocking full of the gravel in there while the bavcteria is established. Most of my live plants will be attatched to something since my shark likes to shift them around.
jzaine

Postby krekra » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Thanks. I will probably do what krekra said and leave a stocking full of the gravel in there while the bavcteria is established.

I think that was Jacob who said that actually :wink: I think your tank would look nice with sand. It would really set off the colors of your shark.
Karena

krekra

Postby chase malase » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:50 am

very bright and colourful!!!...good luck with the sand!
chase malase

Return to Tank Talk