Another petition for better point of sale advice, labelling.

A place to talk about your tanks, latest fish or share photo's

Another petition for better point of sale advice, labelling.

Postby pyromaniac » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:25 pm

Yes - another petition, after having read through Free's petition and signed up to it, I decided maybe another one may be beneficial - along the same lines as Free's but a slightly more lengthy one.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Fishkeeping/

Free is happy for me to post mine up alongside his, and hopefully the Admin are happy to let me post this too.

Please feel free anyone and everyone to copy the link and make it known in any other forums you frequent, as the more the merrier that join in this 'campaign'

regards

Gerry
Fluval 305
pyromaniac

Postby alip01 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:15 pm

Signed and I know who else did :cheeky:
alip01

Postby Apistogramma » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:16 pm

:innocent:
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby alip01 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:31 pm

I was talking about the other one :cheeky: but I know the names :lol:
alip01

Postby Angel Fish » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:52 pm

:wink:
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby free » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:57 pm

signed :mrgreen:
war is Gods way of teaching Americans geography. A Bierce
trigon 350
6 angels-1 bulldog plec-3 corys- red finned shark-2 pakistan loach-1 nutcase catfish-10 cardinal tetra-6 pristella tetra-10 tiger barbs-2 golden barbs 2 gold gourami
free

Postby dreadly » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:24 am

I think it is also worth mentioning the environmental impact that lack of sale advice can have also.
Many people are sold coldwater fish that grow beyond their keeping abilities, including basic goldfish (carp) species and let them 'run wild' into watercourses when they can no longer keep them.
This sort of thing could be greatly reduced with more sales information.
I realise you are unlikely to find a Ray or Angel in your local river, but there must be species that can cause these problems.
Currently...

3 Cherry Barbs
1 Golden Pearlescale Freshwater Angelfish
6 Corydoras sterbai
1 L Cat (Not sure on the number!)

These are the sole survivors of my disabled son adding carvol oil to the tank! :(
dreadly

Postby gemma0303 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:53 pm

SIGNED! :lol: :lol:
gemma0303

Postby pred11 » Sat May 31, 2008 11:40 pm

signed 8) to dreadly...i have actually caught a small ray in the thames about 2 years ago...i reported it to the enviroment agency and was told that they are a freshwater species native to england but are rarely caught by anglers...
pred11

Postby Sarette » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:49 pm

I've signed too :)
Sarette

Postby Westie275 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:18 am

Ive signed :wink:
Westie275

Postby TheCaptain » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:10 am

As someone that bought convicts, and found frontosas... I've signed!
Richard "TheCaptain" Combes.

Remember: Piracy is a crime. Do not accept copies of The Captain.
TheCaptain

Postby Graeme P » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:59 pm

Signed, with gusto.
Graeme.
Graeme P

Hold on a minute!

Postby ddk » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Firstly, Hi everyone, I'm new here but I will probably upset a few of you, so here goes........
As you are all "hobbyists" I'm sure you all have loads and loads of books on the subject of fish keeping, and if you're reading this you obviously have access to a PC or lap top with its "wealth of information" that is available. So surely before you go to your local fish dealer to buy your next acquisition you do your homework first right? obviously not. Would you buy a car without reading the brochure first, I didn't think so!
I think everybody nowadays is always looking to pass responsibility for their actions on to someone else, I'm afraid there is no excuse for buying a fish and not knowing how big it will get or the required conditions the poor creature needs or even "i bought convicts and found frontosas" not knowing what the fish even look like!, geeeeeze!
So even if you do see a fish you would like to buy on the spur of the moment, I think you'll find most fish dealers have a supply of books in the shop for you to look at before parting with your hard earned cash. Don't forget that the shop owner is there to make money at the end of the day and will probably assume you have done your research.
So, "DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST" and then made an informed buying decision.
If you do find a "Good" dealer support them and tell everybody else about them, the cowboys will soon disappear.
P.S. For the record, I do not have affiliation or connection with any fish dealer anywhere. Honestly!
Rant over.
I started out with nothing and still got most of it left!
ddk

Re: Hold on a minute!

Postby ziggy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:54 pm

Firstly, Hi everyone, I'm new here but I will probably upset a few of you, so here goes........
As you are all "hobbyists" I'm sure you all have loads and loads of books on the subject of fish keeping, and if you're reading this you obviously have access to a PC or lap top with its "wealth of information" that is available. So surely before you go to your local fish dealer to buy your next acquisition you do your homework first right? obviously not. Would you buy a car without reading the brochure first, I didn't think so!
I think everybody nowadays is always looking to pass responsibility for their actions on to someone else, I'm afraid there is no excuse for buying a fish and not knowing how big it will get or the required conditions the poor creature needs or even "i bought convicts and found frontosas" not knowing what the fish even look like!, geeeeeze!
So even if you do see a fish you would like to buy on the spur of the moment, I think you'll find most fish dealers have a supply of books in the shop for you to look at before parting with your hard earned cash. Don't forget that the shop owner is there to make money at the end of the day and will probably assume you have done your research.
So, "DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST" and then made an informed buying decision.
If you do find a "Good" dealer support them and tell everybody else about them, the cowboys will soon disappear.
P.S. For the record, I do not have affiliation or connection with any fish dealer anywhere. Honestly!
Rant over.

I agree,but newbies often dont realise forums exist (I didnt), until the sale has been done :roll:
I keep lake malawi cichlids
ziggy

Next

Return to Tank Talk