Strange Combination?

A place to talk about your tanks, latest fish or share photo's

Strange Combination?

Postby DemoUK » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:24 am

I have been looking all over the internet and I finding out as much infomation about my fish as I can.From what i can tell I have too many fish for my tank,although they seem to be doing fine and have been for about a year now.Anyway from what I have read it looks as if my choice of fish combiation is'nt the best.But then I don't have any visable problems???

2 gold gouramis
5 upside down catfish
2 angelfish
3 tiger barbs
2 black widows
1 weather loach
2 black mollys(male&female)

Tank size
H=15" W=12" L=30"

Should I seperate these fish into two tanks or because it seems too be working fine,just leave it be?Thanks.
DemoUK

Re: Strange Combination?

Postby David » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:12 pm

Hi DemoUK,

I can unfortunately see many problems with your tank inhabitants.
Your tank is very overstocked i'm afraid, and some of those fish need a bigger tank.

Gouramis and cichlids(the angelfish) do get on well as they are very territorial, if they are young they may get on OK but as they mature, all hell will be let loose i'm sure. And angels ideally want/need a bigger tank.
Tiger barbs are famous for being fin nippers and in smaller groups they instead of bickering amongst their selves, they take it out by nipping other fish. 6-7 should be the minimum shoal for tigers.
Also black widows are shoaling fish and should be in shoals of at least 6.

Weather loaches are not suited to tropical temps. In they wild they live in shallow rice fields and shallow streams and that means the temp fluctuates alot and sometimes are exposed to 30*C. But this is only for a short period of time, if continuous they would really suffer. The temp lays much lower most of the time and shouldn't really go in temps above 23*C.
Also weather loaches can easily reach 10" and should really be placed in a much larger tank.

In your tank you should have around 30" of fish counted at full size. Just the weather loach and angels take this.

What size is the other tank?

That does seem a long list but now your here and we hope to help you out and get back on the road to a successful aquarium.

David
David

Postby DemoUK » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:48 pm

hi David

Thanks for you response.The other tank is smaller, 18"L 11"W 15"H, from what i have read mybe the Angelfish could move to here as this tank is taller.I know i can find a home for the weather loach although he is one of my favourite,and I could find a home for the black widows were the would join a group of 3.But the rest of the fish aint got no were els to go :cry: .

By the way things are looking,I don't think im going to be able to breed the molly's in the other tank liked I planned?Thanks.
DemoUK

Postby David » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:52 am

If i were you i would put the black widows, mollys and gouramis in the 18" tank.

I think you should wait to breed the mollys until you have got your stocking issues sorted and have space for some of the young, it may be hard re homing loads of mollys.

David
David

Return to Tank Talk