Most embaressing fishkeeping moment

A place to talk about your tanks, latest fish or share photo's

Postby Necrosis » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:56 pm

hippiepunk1 wrote:i once burnt a 12" strip out of a virtually brand new carpet when strip cleaning a tank that got contaminated with half a bottle of red wine. i thought id turned the heater off and laid it on the carpet, stripped the tank down cleaned everything and then went to bed. came down in morning to a hole and light brown burn mark on the floorboards....wife at time not happy. id unplugged the lights for the tank above by mistake.

Just caught p with this thread again.... and wonderin just how u could manage to get half a bottle of red wine into your tank....surely thats alcohol abuse?!? :lol: :lol:
Rio 125
Necrosis

Postby fishkeeper » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:12 pm

hippiepunk1 wrote:i once burnt a 12" strip out of a virtually brand new carpet when strip cleaning a tank that got contaminated with half a bottle of red wine. i thought id turned the heater off and laid it on the carpet, stripped the tank down cleaned everything and then went to bed. came down in morning to a hole and light brown burn mark on the floorboards....wife at time not happy. id unplugged the lights for the tank above by mistake.

Had to put it into this thread you crazy Image .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TLYioRY4i4
fishkeeper

Re:

Postby Jasper » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:47 am

I was emptying out a tank once, and I managed to spill water on the kitchen floor without noticing. I slipped over on it and fractured my elbow. :shock:
Formerly known as Cichlidae
Jasper

Postby chase malase » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:40 am

i had a barrel outside with gold fish witch had a terrible algea and ded leaves problem i was suking the tube to get most of the water out and it went in my mouth

Postby tony54 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:35 pm

Many years ago got a tank from my father, filled it with water and left it for several days to check for leaks. All was ok - set it up in my living room, gravel/rocks/plants and water - it looked really great......came down next morning.....empty tank and soaking carpet.... tank base had cracked!! :roll: :( :angry:
Tony
tony54

Postby digger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:31 am

bought wierd looking fish from pet store ( i like the unusual looking ) long green with spots and a lions mane had them a few weeks then they started to grow legs little wierdos got out of the tank one morning and scared the heck out of me (early am ) when i went to feed my tanks didnt expect to grab somethin slimy when i opened up one of my tanks to feed the fish i screamed so loud i wound up waking all the kids .
24 in-36in-6 ft
2 - jaguar cichlids 2 plecs

18 in - 24 in 42 in
4 comets 1 albino corys 2 pirannah tetras 2 bronze corys

24 in - 24 in- 36 in
2 comet 2 blood parrots 1 bristle nose3 albino corys 2 bronze corys 1 pepper cory

Angie
digger

Postby David » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:47 am

That would be a axylotl!
David

Postby digger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:54 am

fish and wildlife told me they were south american water dogs .and promptly confiscated them . saying they were an endangered species and it was illegal to posess them they also wound up shutting down the fish store i bought them from.
24 in-36in-6 ft

18 in - 24 in 42 in

24 in - 24 in- 36 in
2 comet 2 blood parrots 1 bristle nose3 albino corys 2 bronze corys 1 pepper cory

Angie
digger

Postby David » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:10 am

Axolotl, sorry spelt it wrong first time.

Axolotls should not be confused with waterdogs, the larval stage of the closely related Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum), which is widespread in much of North America, nor with mudpuppies (Necturus spp.), fully aquatic salamanders which are unrelated to the axolotl but which bear a superficial resemblance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl
David

Postby digger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:56 pm

thanks all i know is what they told me when they came to see what they were and then confiscated them . i know they werent mud puppies from here my moms acerage has lots of them these were totally a diffrent color.
24 in-36in-6 ft

18 in - 24 in 42 in

24 in - 24 in- 36 in

Angie
digger

Postby Carylnz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:59 pm

This was not my own embarrassing moment but one belonging to a member on my home forum. He is a very keen teen who visits his lfs pretty much daily and hangs out there whenever possible. This is a very small (but excellent) shop and always kept very clean.
He came in the other day with his usual can of Pepsi and pot of chips. After a while there was an almightly bang and the owner looked around to find a coating of Pepsi over everything! The can had dropped out of his pocket and split as it hit the concrete floor. The owner said he didn't know Pepsi could go so far! Luckily there was only one other customer in the shop at the time and all pitched in to clean up the mess as fast as possible. None of it got into any of the tanks thank goodness but Pepsi dripped down the fronts, through the name labels etc.
Here are some pics of the shop before wilson drowned it in Pepsi. You can see how small the area is...

This is John , the owner, netting fish for a customer.
Carylnz

Previous

Return to Tank Talk