Goldfish Eating Habits

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

Goldfish Eating Habits

Postby chuckalicious » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:54 pm

I have a 69l tank (I think that's 18US Gallons).

I have 4 goldfish in it, each of which is about 7-8cm in length.

At the moment it only has plastic plants in it. However, if I were to plant real plants in, would the goldfish eat them?

Secondly, if I were to put any shrimp (live ones :)), in, would the goldfish eat them too? If not, would I need to have live plants for the shrimp or would they be happy in a plastic planted tank?
chuckalicious

Postby krekra » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:09 pm

Hi there, I moved your post to the coldwater section. Goldfish are prolific plant eaters. I think you would have trouble maintaining a planted tank with goldies although there are some plants they dont seem to like as much. You might be able to get a list of said plants if you post about it in the plant section. I am not sure myself which they are. As for shrimp....I would think that when the shrimp moult and have a soft skin they would be snatched up quickly by an ever hungry goldy unless tey are really big shrimp. As for shrimp with plastic plants....I think it depends on what kind of shrimp but as long as there is food for them.....algea and detrius then I think they would adjust although I dont know for sure.
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby chuckalicious » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:18 pm

Ok, so best to avoid both :) THat's a shame, would love to have shrimp, but it's an awfuly expensive food for the goldfish :)
chuckalicious

Postby krekra » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:08 pm

You might be OK with some large filter feeders like Bamboo shrimp.
Karena

krekra

Postby chuckalicious » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:13 pm

I'll see what my LFS has and discuss it there, as they may well have some big shrimp.

Thanks
chuckalicious

Postby krekra » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:04 pm

I have two of these guys and they are relativly big. I am not sure about the water temp requirments though. A cold water tank may be too cold for them.

http://www.petshrimp.com/bambooshrimp.html
Karena

krekra

Postby David » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:48 pm

Planted tanks with goldfish,

http://thegab.org/Articles/GoldfishPlantsLowTech.html

Java fern works best IME.

David
David

Postby Carylnz » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:24 am

Are these comets or fancy goldfish? I think your tank is too small for 4 goldfish - esp if they are comets. What are the dimensions?
Carylnz

Postby chuckalicious » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:08 pm

Carylnz,

I think these are comets (not got the big fat heads, or bulging eyes etc).

They are all about 8-9cm in length. I am aware that this tank is at it's limit, but I didn't have much of a choice at the time. The fish were going to be thrown out (from a school) and my wife was the only one willing to take them but they wouldn't let her take the tank, which was a larger one.

Money constraints and time constraints meant we had to get what we could get at the time. We bought the tank one night and the next night the fish had to be in the tank as the school had disinfected the tank! So they are in a cycling tank just now, which also isn't ideal, but not much option really :(
chuckalicious

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds