My pond in winter

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

My pond in winter

Postby Carylnz » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:15 pm

Winter has finally arrived (better late than never I guess) and the past 2 mornings have been -3C. We are at sea level so the most it gets here is -6C or so. It doesn't snow although we are only an hour away from Rainbow Skifield.

The ice on the small pond is about 5mm thick

The birdbath froze solid

For those who remember the saga of our pond build, have a look at all 5 pages of pics (start at page 5 and make your way backwards)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v144/ ... 0Feb%2006/
Carylnz

Postby Angel Fish » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:30 pm

We're almost at midsummers day here........I'm expecting snow any minute. The weather's diabolical :evil:

I love your ponds Caryl :)
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Apistogramma » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:30 am

Wow big project! You can sit by your pond in the rain and stay dry! That's awesome!!
It's so strange thinking that it's your winter for our summer...the world being round and all that... :wink:
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby krekra » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:16 am

Well even though it is winter and the pond is frozen I have to say that it looks well settled in. Like it has been there years!!

Thanks for the update. I really want a pond but I am such a slope that I think it would be really difficult. Esp with all the tree roots in my yard.

hmmmmm there has got to be a place I can do it......
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby hippiepunk1 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:46 am

before I say this I have 2 degrees and am 45 years old but this pond picture totally confused me . Id always assumed winter / summer was decided by how close or how far we were from the sun.
I never knew that when it was summer in Uk it was winter somewhere else, just not something I had heard.
Anyhows your pond in winter sent me looking . It turns out that its the angular spin of the earth itself relative to the sun that causes our seasons and not its position in its solar orbit. well live and learn!!!! :lol:
hippiepunk1

Postby dazzer1975 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:08 pm

fantastic pics caryl.

I quite like those fresh winter mornings, looks great.
dazzer1975

Postby Tigerhair » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:16 pm

Great pictures - I float a ball in my pond over winter so there is always a break in the ice without actually having to break the ice (which I have heard is back for d'fishes).
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

Postby Carylnz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:18 pm

The big pond has decks at either end that extend about 3m over the pond so it never totally freezes. Besides, it thaws quickly.
Carylnz

Postby Tigerhair » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:55 pm

Cool. :D
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:32 am

Tigerhair wrote:Great pictures - I float a ball in my pond over winter so there is always a break in the ice without actually having to break the ice (which I have heard is back for d'fishes).

Breaking the ice causes temperature shift and exposure, coverings of snow and ice insulate - suprisingly -
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby David » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:38 am

Tigerhair wrote:Great pictures - I float a ball in my pond over winter so there is always a break in the ice without actually having to break the ice (which I have heard is back for d'fishes).

I do the same with my pond, then take it out so there's a small hole!

Breaking the ice causes temperature shift and exposure, coverings of snow and ice insulate - suprisingly

That would happen if the ice was cracked with a sudden force like hitting it with a hammer, not a problem with a floating ball, the ice forms around it then take the ball out and theres a hole! :)
David

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:42 am

Sorry yes - was trying to say what David just said... :oops:
Becky

Apistogramma

Postby Tigerhair » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:54 pm

And you managed it so eloquently together - what team work! :D
Tigerhair

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:01 pm

Hehe - must be 'cos we live so close together! (Compared with across the deep blue I mean...)
Becky

Apistogramma

Postby gib » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:00 pm

i could swear that i read through a detailed blog on the making of your big pond about a year ago...am i imagining that, it looks so familiar.

gr8 pond btw
gib

Next

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds