Dwarf Livebearers AKA Least Killifish (Heterandria formosa)

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

Dwarf Livebearers AKA Least Killifish (Heterandria formosa)

Postby jclee » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:28 pm

I'm kind of doing the rounds on the forums, because it seems like not many people order this species; forgive me if you've seen this post elsewhere.

I just ordered Heterandria formosa (AKA dwarf livebearers, or least killifish) online. I've read all that I can find about them. They sound simple enough to maintain, and it sounds like they'll go well in my axolotl tank (after a nice long quarantine). (Axolotls need cooler temps, and my tank is usually 70-72 with a few dips over/under -- I am aware that some of these fish may become snacks if they do not learn to avoid playing near the bottom of the tank).

Anyway, I wondered who here had them before, and what advice/opinions you have to offer based on your own personal experiences.

I do have a few feeder guppies in that tank already. (They went through a LONG quarantine and ich treatment, and the few that remained seemed healthy.) Would these species be compatible? (I imagine so, but I thought I would ask.) I have a second axolotl tank they can adorn, but I would prefer to keep them in the main tank.

Thanks in advance.
I know a little bit about a lot of things...
jclee

Re: Dwarf Livebearers AKA Least Killifish (Heterandria formo

Postby tferguso » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:57 pm

I've kept H. formosa, and they pretty much stay near the bottom of the tank naturally. So, the axolotl is likely to have an easy lunch (and breakfast and dinner).
tferguso

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds