Goldfish advice please (tank sizing)

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

Goldfish advice please (tank sizing)

Postby Werdnal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Our son won a goldfish at the fair almost 9 months ago now and he/she/it is still going strong. I think its a Comet. We were initially wary of buying a new tank as didn't think he would last this long, so put him in a plastic tank that we already had which is approx 11" x 8" x 7" deep. We do 50% water changes every 2-3 weeks and he is fed a tiny pinch of goldfish flake once a day.

Now he is still with us and my son is still showing an interest in looking after him, we are looking to get a larger tank to allow some decoration and maybe add a small filter. Realistically I know the tank we have at the moment is too small, although I had a goldfish for years when I was young, housed in a traditional goldfish bowl!

Would prefer a plastic tank - obviously more child friendly, and help with weight.

Also are these any good:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marina-Cool-14L-G ... d1ff65f6ac

Would this size suit one Comet?

Also, when changing to the new tank, would I need to let it stand for a few days? We are on groundfed spring water, so no chemicals to worry about, and I could use the existing water in the current tank as a start, topping up daily with additional "new" water until desired level is reached, if this is OK?

Any advice appreciated, Thanks
Werdnal

Postby Carylnz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:03 pm

The 14L they suggest as a good goldfish tank is totally unsuitable!
Personally I think comets belong in a pond, not an aquarium. You need something long so it has room to swim. At least 3ft and 120L to allow it to grow comfortably.
Any chance you could build a small pond for it instead?
I thought they had made it illegal to give away fish at fairs these days? :twisted:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Werdnal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:12 pm

I agree that it should be illegal to give away fish, but apparently they are allowed to if they offer to provide you (at your cost) with a tank and food. We declined this as our little tank at home was actually larger than what they were selling. I'm sure this one has probably outlived many of the others given away that day, and he was tiny at the time anyway, but we want to give him a decent environment.

We already have a pond, but its a wildlife pond - we had fish in it once but having fought a loosing battle with the heron and a mink over the years, decided not to re-stock it. Its full of other life, including a visiting grass snake! and pond plants and if we put the fish in there, we'll either lose him or never actually see him again!

Only other option will be to give him to the inlaws who do have a stocked pond, but not sure our son will be too happy about this :cry:

If they are so unsuitable for tank kept pets, then why does nearly every pet and fish supplier locally sell them?
Werdnal

Postby TheCaptain » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:43 pm

I have one in a 3ft 180 litre tank. That one (a fair ground fish) is nearly 12 years old. I want to put it in a pond, but my wife won't let me. It is (seems) more than happy in there.

Fluval 305, 180 litre tank, 1 fairground comet. An expensive setup for 1 fish.

Shops sell them because they're traditional (for fish) and they're cheap... Almost considered a disposable pet. For some reason, they're also considered easy to look after. My dog is easier to maintain than my wifes goldfish (and probably cheaper!)
Richard "TheCaptain" Combes.

Remember: Piracy is a crime. Do not accept copies of The Captain.
TheCaptain

Postby ricky 2 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:55 pm

best bet get a second hand tank look in the local adds more tank for youre money ps wer are you in the uk :)
ricky 2

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:05 pm

Demand. If people will buy them shops will sell them. Besides, many buy them for ponds and that is fine.
Many keep comets in tanks and the fish live a happy enough life, just make sure it is big enough! It worries me though that the average tank life of a comet is supposedly about 7 years but they ought to live up to 35 years :cry:
We had trouble a couple of years ago with a blue heron at our pond. Managed to keep it away before it got any fish thank goodness. Hard to do as they are a protected species so we couldn't harm it. We strung string around the edges so it couldn't get to the edge.
We don't have animals like minks or snakes in NZ thank goodness!
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Sarah » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:42 am

I totally agree re shops irresponsibly selling comets etc for tanks
. I bought 2 'extra small' comets from my local pet store - technically as they were so small they could have gone in a tank.
I put them in my pond and they are both now a good 6-8 inches long- one in particular is huge !
If some one had bought these for a tank would have had no room and not a happy life whereas they seem very happy in the pond
35 litre tank
1 betta
5 platies
plus a pond with 4 orfes and 2 comets
Sarah

Postby Viv » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:00 pm

Perhaps you could put the comet in the inlaws pond and get your son another fish more suited to a tank? You could explain to him how the comet needed the space in order to be happy.

Viv
Tanks: Vision 450 community - larger fish, Rio 180 planted community - smaller fish, Rio 125 - tiger barbs, 60l - Siamese fighter, 25l corner - red cherry shrimp, 13l -african dwarf frogs

4 500l goldfish and koi pond
Viv

Re: Coldwater Fish & Ponds

Postby luspin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:59 am

Goldfish tend to live well in slow, flowing dwellings. The fish adapt to a variety of water temperatures, yet the plants must have fresh water and plenty of plant stuff. Open pools is the leading choice of water environments for goldfish. Goldfish are small colorful fish, which come from eastern Asia waters. Goldfish are normally housed in tanks, aquariums, or ponds.
luspin

Re: Coldwater Fish & Ponds

Postby alistairw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:13 pm

luspin wrote:Goldfish tend to live well in slow, flowing dwellings. The fish adapt to a variety of water temperatures, yet the plants must have fresh water and plenty of plant stuff. Open pools is the leading choice of water environments for goldfish. Goldfish are small colorful fish, which come from eastern Asia waters. Goldfish are normally housed in tanks, aquariums, or ponds.

Goldfish can soon turn into huge colorful fish. 40 gallons should be the smallest tank size for a single comet although 60 gallons would be better.
alistairw

Postby ady » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:07 pm

i recently bought a 54l tank to re-home my daughters 2 goldfish.

1 of them is still growing fast (approx) 6 inches including fan tail..

i am looking into re-homing the big fella into a pond to give him more quality of life.

get the biggest tank you can afford/get to fit in ther room.the fish will appreciate it.when i changed ours,the fish just kept 'bombing' up and down the tank.loving the extra room it seems.

check ebay/gumtree etc for tanks in your area.i picked a great bargain on ebay & lots of other forum go-ers have done the same.

or try telling your little one that they have done such a great job looking after the fish,that it needs a pond to be really happy.

anyways good luck

ady :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds