New pump - Blagdon hybrid reviews

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

New pump - Blagdon hybrid reviews

Postby Viv » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:45 am

I've got to get a new pump and was thinking of getting a Blagdon hybrid 5000 or 6000. My ponds about 4500l with the pump at one end piping water to the filter unit about 4m distant at the other end. My current pump (some no name brand) is struggling. It pumps 7000l an hour but pressure dropped substantially when I increased the distance the water travelled. As far as I can tell from looking around on the internet the Blagdon is designed to prevent this problem. I also want a pump that I can change the impeller on as I'm sick of having to buy a whole new pump when they go. Is the Blagdon as good a pump as it sounds? If so should I go for the 5000 or the 6000? If not what pump would you recommend? Thanks.

Viv
Tanks: Vision 450 community - larger fish, Rio 180 planted community - smaller fish, Rio 125 - tiger barbs, 60l - Siamese fighter, 25l corner - red cherry shrimp, 13l -african dwarf frogs

4 500l goldfish and koi pond
Viv

Postby Carylnz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:35 pm

I have no idea about this brand as it is one I have never heard of but I would always buy the bigger model as pond pumps clog quickly with a lot of crud building up in the pipes and flow rates don't take this into account.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Viv » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:35 am

Yeah I was leaning towards the bigger size for those reasons. I thought about getting one of those pump housings you can get but it seems to me you'd just be unclogging the housing inlets instead of the pump inlets.

Viv
Tanks: Vision 450 community - larger fish, Rio 180 planted community - smaller fish, Rio 125 - tiger barbs, 60l - Siamese fighter, 25l corner - red cherry shrimp, 13l -african dwarf frogs

4 500l goldfish and koi pond
Viv

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds