25 Litre Tank

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

25 Litre Tank

Postby BlackPanther832 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:59 pm

Hey there,

I am looking at buying a tank for my little sister for Christmas, the two I have seen that seem a reasonable size and price are both 25 Litres.

The initial idea was to get her a goldfish, under the assumption that fish 'only grow to the size of the tank', however since joining this forum and speaking to the people at the fish shop it seems that this is not the case.

They said that eventually a goldfish would need to be re-homed because it would grow very large, and recommended some Coldwater and Tropical suitable fish like White Clouds and Danios.

I was just wondering what you guys and gals thoughts were, and if you had any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance

Cheers :D

Glen
BlackPanther832

Postby harmzyxr2 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:31 pm

if you can go bigger i personally would! my first tank was my korrall 60ltr, big enough to put most things in and small enough to keep out of the way.
danio, neon, guppy etc.
or you can get small versions of goldfish! like fantails thats what my gf has in her 20ltr tank, and i believe goldfish do only grow to the size of the tank well the fancy ones, if its a proper goldfish then a pond is the best bet.
harmzyxr2

Postby Carylnz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:58 pm

Small tanks are hard to maintain and if something goes wrong it does so very quickly and more likely to end up in dead fish and upset child.
If you have the space, and cash, go bigger 45L at least.
If you can't I would suggest a single Betta splendens (Siamese fighter).
A goldfish would be a definite no-no in this size.
Danios need a longer tank as they swim fast.
White clouds would be OK but I htink she would find them boring.
Leopardfish, Phalloceros caudomaculatus, are coldwater and a few would be fine in such a small tank. Sometimes found under Phalloceros caudimaculatus as well if you want to Google them.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby BlackPanther832 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:05 am

Thanks for the replies guys, so essentially my options at this size are; White Clouds, Leopardfish or a Fighter? Would an American Flag Fish be suitable at this size? As these were also recommended by the people at the fish shop and are apparently cold water?

Many thanks

Glen
BlackPanther832

Postby TigerBarb » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:45 am

I've just googled Ameriacn Flag Fish and the first site I looked at said tank size = minimum 60L and 36" long. So I suggest probably not suitable for a 25L tank.... buy bigger, you'll find it much easier!
TigerBarb

Postby Carylnz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:07 am

The flagfish, a type of killifish, will be too large for only 25L. They are not a cold water fish but temperate, and require 19 - 25C.
Whiteclouds, leopardfish or a single fighter are your only options (except shrimp I guess) but I, like TigerBarb, still recommend a larger tank if you can get one.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby BlackPanther832 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Ok thanks for your help guys. You have given me a lot to think about, I think I may have to re-assess what tank I am going to get!

Cheers :D

Glen
BlackPanther832

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds