little advise needed PLEAASSEE :) :)

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

little advise needed PLEAASSEE :) :)

Postby carney14 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:56 am

Hi, Everyone been a while since I have used this forum but I found it the best when I started keeping fish SO IM BACK! :lol:

Anyway here's the story, im still keeping tropical fish and still enjoying them very much. But now I have the idea of goldfish in my head. Im not looking for a huge tank just a nice 60ltr tank. I have had goldfish before but im talking year's ago and just had the one I won at the fair + the ones I needed so badly when we had to go buy it a tank :innocent: . So the question's I pretty much need help with are the basics of keeping them. I only want Fantail/fancy goldfish and I have been looking at pictures of them and the idea was black fish with white fish. so...

How many would be suitable for a 60ltr tank?

Filtration. I have read they can be abit messy?

Substrate in my tropical tanks i have used natural slate and there has been no trouble what so ever with it. Would this be ok for these type of fish?

Water temprature?

And any other important info you guys have would be very welcome and a great help!

THANKS FOLKS!! :D
carney14

Postby Carylnz » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:11 am

How many would be suitable for a 60ltr tank?
One, and only if it is one that has such a long tail it does not swim about much. Fancy goldfish require about 38L each.
Comets and other short tailed goldfish need 76L each.

Filtration. I have read they can be abit messy?
They are very messy so good filtration is helpful. Do not use an UGF as they will dig in the substrate and uncover the filter plates.

Substrate in my tropical tanks i have used natural slate and there has been no trouble what so ever with it. Would this be ok for these type of fish?
Yes

Water temprature?
Room temperature
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby carney14 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:49 am

:( One and one only... on the other hand this could be a excuse for another big tank sure I will find the room some how :wink: Thanks for the help :) going to have a few good hours reasearch before I get to excited though. Do you know if there is any smaller types of fancy gold fish? I can remember when I was younger and had goldfish I had two tiny little from what I can remember they where Blackmoors? May have just been babys though. And it will be ok for me to give a squeze of my tropical tank media into the coldwater tank wouldnt it?

Thanks again :wink:
carney14

Postby Carylnz » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:23 am

There are no small goldfish species, just juveniles and stunted ones.
You can squeeze the media from the tropical into the cold.
If I had 3 fancy goldfish I would have them in a minimum 3ft tank (120L).
The fancy long tailed ones do look good in the taller hexagonal tanks.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds