setting up a new pond

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

setting up a new pond

Postby Sarah » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:28 am

Hi
We have a small pond in our garden which I have decided is not big enough for our orfes ( babies when we got them and have grown significantly) SO decided to buy a pre formed raised pond ( much bigger and deeper) that we can put on our deck and enjoy more in the summer than the sunken pond at the bottom of the garden.
In terms of transfer I am thinking I can do the following and water quality and fish should be Ok- think process as follows;
remove fish temporarily
set up position of raised pond
transfer all current pond water into new pond
move filter ( is too large for current pond so will be fine for a bigger one) and set up in new pond
add plants
top up extra water needed for larger pond with conditioner added
add fish

what i'm thinking is I do not have to cycle the new pond if i add the filter and as much oroiginal pond water as i can and therefore can add fish in same day once all other aspects sorted??

appreciate any views- have had fish for 3 years and really would not want to loose them- they bred last year (which is not easy with orfes) but I did not catch the babies in time and think they got eaten- will be more vigilant this year if i notice them1

Thanks

Sarah
35 litre tank
1 betta
5 platies
plus a pond with 4 orfes and 2 comets
Sarah

Postby miskin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:45 am

its not the water that needs cycling, its the filter media. If your transferring the filter over, and keeping the same level of bioload ( same fish) then your filter will be cycled plenty for them. Saying that, using your old pond water will be beneficial anyhow, and save water bills!
miskin

Postby Carylnz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:38 am

If you are moving everything over from the old pond to the new, all will be fine. Keep the filter media wet. You are not adding more fish, just more water so nothing needs to re-cycle.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Sarah » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:41 am

Thanks thats helpful- yes no intention to add more fish just give the ones I have more room
Just waiting for our awful weather to abate into spring and will get cracking on this project!
Sarah
35 litre tank
1 betta
5 platies
plus a pond with 4 orfes and 2 comets
Sarah

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds