Shubunkin

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

Shubunkin

Postby sian » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:27 pm

My daughter won 2 fish at a fair 6yrs ago and I had to buy a tank for them one died last year lived for 5yrs the other is still with us, He stayed small untill recently, I moved his tank into my daughters bedroom and all of a sudden he's had a growth spurt and getting too big for the tank..
My problem is my other tank is a 4 1/2ft tropical tank,, I have seen people keeping their coldwater fish in tropical tanks,
I am thinking of trying him out in the tropical tank but worried it will upset him.. Can anyone give me their opinion?
I know coldwater should be kept as coldwater but I am running out of options with him, :(
He is kept with smaller fish danios and white cloud so I know he's ok with smaller fish

I would find him a new home but my daughter thinks the world of this paticular fish..
sian

Postby peter shogun » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:44 am

hi dont no if this will help but a mate of mine keeps goldfish in his tropical tank with small fish never had any probs at all in 5yrs+ i just phoned him for you and he keeps his tank a temp of 27
hope that helps
regards peter
ps should have said if you do put him in your tropical tank keep a eye on water cond's as thay can be messy so i been told :)
peter shogun

Shubunkins

Postby Rasborine Fan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:03 am

I once had to rescue a very inappropriately-bought 2.5"red fantail from a friend's 120cm tropical aquarium - because it and two conspecifics had been purchased as tankmates for a Maylandia zebra!!!
It went into my 30"x18"x12" tropical (26c) community as an emergency measure, and did just fine - tankmates were various small tetras and rasboras, plus a handful of corys. I've always 'over-filtered' my tank (Fluval 3+ in this case) and aerate in addition, so really the environment was capable of carrying it no problems. After about nine months I moved him on.
I'd put the airpump down as the critical component in this case; goldfish being temperate-water fish appreciate the high oxygen level that results and it also helps improve the filter's efficiency.
That's my experience anyway. I hope yours is somewhat similar. :)
I like 'drab fish'; I just don't see them as drab!
Rasborine Fan

Postby sian » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks for the help guys, He is a really mellow fish as long as he has his food he's happy whatever we do with him..
My filter is able to take it, The tank he's going into used to house 2 oscars a full grown pleco, crayfish and 2 JDs, before they went into a 7/8ft tank in my friend house..

I will have to sneak him in tomorrow while the kid is at school :lol:

Thanks for going to the trouble of ringing you friend Peter xxx
sian

Postby sian » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:33 pm

I put him in on tuesday and he's totally happy and gets on with everyone, seems to be hanging out with the silver sharks..One male molly seems taken with the shubunkin....Is that allowed lol :innocent: :innocent:
sian

Postby peter shogun » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:05 am

thats nice news that he/she like new home :D :D
well done 8) all the best peter 8)
peter shogun

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds