SHUBUNKIN COLOUR CHANGE

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

SHUBUNKIN COLOUR CHANGE

Postby cobden28 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:04 pm

When we moved to this address in 1996 it was partly because of the fishpond in the back garden. I renovated the pond in 1997 and stocked it with a mixture of common goldfish and shubunkins. Some fish died, some were taken by carrion crows (until we put wire mesh over the surface of the pond!) and basically the fish I'm left with breed happily without interference from me.

Only one of the three original shubunkins is left now. When i bought it, this fish had good colouration - red, black, blue all evenly mixed - but now that I've had the fish for close on fourteen years the colour has faded to white almost all over with only a few red markings.

Is it normal for shubunkins to change colour like this with age?
cobden28

Postby Carylnz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:39 am

Many goldfish will change colour over the years. I guess it is a bit like we get grey hair, they get pale bits too :lol:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Viv » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:02 am

I've had a 6 year old goldfish change from all orange to all black, and conversely one of its offspring change from all black to all orange at 3 years. I haven't had my shubunkins long enough yet to know what happens as they age but it wouldn't surprise me if it were just age.

Viv
Tanks: Vision 450 community - larger fish, Rio 180 planted community - smaller fish, Rio 125 - tiger barbs, 60l - Siamese fighter, 25l corner - red cherry shrimp, 13l -african dwarf frogs

4 500l goldfish and koi pond
Viv

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds