Pond

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

Pond

Postby Royal Engineer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Well i'm thinking of having a pond so just want to ask people advice really. The space where it eventually will go is 1.4 metres wide so my idea was to build an above ground pond as i have a 2 year old. With the width of the wood for example taken of the length i'm going on approx 1.2 metres length. So if i took that length and worked on a metre wide and metre depth id have a 1200litre (263gallon) pond. Would that be a decent size to have and what sort of stocking levels could i have??
I've only looked at rigid pond liners at the minute but none of those are the lengths i'm working on. Are there any other types of pond liners out there that would able me to achieve the measurements i've suggested?

Royal
Some people are addicted to crack, some alcohol. For me its fish!
2 Assassin Snails
1 Convict Cichlids
1 Pimelodus Blochii
1 Tiger Oscar
2 Golden Severum
Royal Engineer

Postby Viv » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:04 pm

You can buy pond liner and underlay any size you want Royal. I got mine on ebay from a seller who did both and they have a 15 year guarentee. I think I got 7m x 5m for about £65.

Viv
Tanks: Vision 450 community - larger fish, Rio 180 planted community - smaller fish, Rio 125 - tiger barbs, 60l - Siamese fighter, 25l corner - red cherry shrimp, 13l -african dwarf frogs

4 500l goldfish and koi pond
Viv

Postby Royal Engineer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks viv. Is there by any chance you remember the seller??

Royal
2 Assassin Snails
1 Convict Cichlids
1 Pimelodus Blochii
1 Tiger Oscar
2 Golden Severum
Royal Engineer

Postby Viv » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:21 pm

lol no but they're in our feedback :D The seller was pondliner_bargains and I was wrong about the guarantee - its longer!

Viv
Tanks: Vision 450 community - larger fish, Rio 180 planted community - smaller fish, Rio 125 - tiger barbs, 60l - Siamese fighter, 25l corner - red cherry shrimp, 13l -african dwarf frogs

Viv

Postby Royal Engineer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:28 pm

Lol. Thanks. I've had a look and there is quite a few on there. This could be a real dumb question but if I was for example to build a frame out of 2x4, do I just put underlay on the ground or does it go all the way up the sides then the liner over the top of that. And how would it be fixed? In between two strips of wood? Stapled? Nailed. I could probably get someone to build it but want to try and do it all myself.

Royal
2 Assassin Snails
1 Convict Cichlids
1 Pimelodus Blochii
1 Tiger Oscar
2 Golden Severum
Royal Engineer

Postby Viv » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:51 pm

I don't know how it would be fixed but the underlay goes all the way underneath, sides as well as bottom. Are you going to dig down at all? I have mine raised too because of kids and animals, but theres a lot in the ground too (about 2.5 ft). TBH my underlay and liner aren't fixed by anything as yet. I bought enough to go over the top of the raised wall (which is about 1 ft one side and 1.5 ft on the other) and hang down to the ground. Theres rocks all round the top and the sides are covered by a reed screen nailed onto pieces of wood that are screwed into the wall. I'm not sure how you'd do it if you're building a frame :?

Viv

Viv

Postby Royal Engineer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:03 pm

I could dig down. I probably will actually as it will add a bit of stability at the bottom I suppose and will add to the volume of water it can hold. Sure I'll figure it out. Then there's pump/filter to think about!!! Anything else other than fish? Bloody hell. Now I'm thinking about it there a lot.
2 Assassin Snails
1 Convict Cichlids
1 Pimelodus Blochii
1 Tiger Oscar
2 Golden Severum
Royal Engineer

Postby Viv » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:09 am

Think of it as a another tank, albeit cold, so yeah you'll need a filter - and a good one for goldfish - and a pump. The pump will need to maintain flow rate through the length of pipe. For example, I had a 7000 lph pump pushing through pipe only about 2 ft long and it was great but when I changed the length of pipe to 3 m it dropped to a fraction of its output. I'm going to change to an 8000 lph pump that is supposed to be engineered to maintain flow rate through pipes up to 5m long. We shall see! It should be the arriving any day now! Other than that you'll end up wanting plants and additional items such as maybe a waterfall :D

Viv

Viv

Postby Carylnz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:57 am

Many do not nail (or anything similar) the liner down. It should be big enough to cover the hole and sides plus over hang the top by a good amount. Then you can put rockwork edging or whatever around it and it will hold the liner down by weight with no need to puncture the lining edge in any way.
Depending on what fish you want in the pond, and stocking levels, you may not need filtration at all.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Royal Engineer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:05 am

I'm thinking of just stocking goldfish. Would have liked koi but don't know if 250 to 300 gallon is enough?? If I was to build a wooden frame then drop the liner in and fill. Would the weight of the water on the sides potentially push the sides. Or best to dig a pit lay concrete/ sleepers then attach frame to that??
2 Assassin Snails
1 Convict Cichlids
1 Pimelodus Blochii
1 Tiger Oscar
2 Golden Severum
Royal Engineer

Postby Carylnz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:39 pm

Koi are illegal in my country so I can't advice on their requirements. I understand they need large, deep, ponds with heavy filtration though.
If you are building a wooden frame it must we well braced against bowing.
You can always partially dig into the ground, which will have its own support, and have more above if you want the extra depth
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby mercury » Tue May 10, 2011 10:27 pm

Royal Engineer wrote:I'm thinking of just stocking goldfish. Would have liked koi but don't know if 250 to 300 gallon is enough?? If I was to build a wooden frame then drop the liner in and fill. Would the weight of the water on the sides potentially push the sides. Or best to dig a pit lay concrete/ sleepers then attach frame to that??

This site is pretty good for all technical questions on ponds:
http://www.pond-life.me.uk/
mercury

Postby Royal Engineer » Wed May 11, 2011 1:21 am

Cheers matey
2 Assassin Snails
1 Convict Cichlids
1 Pimelodus Blochii
1 Tiger Oscar
2 Golden Severum
Royal Engineer

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds