Blackmoors

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

Blackmoors

Postby alihar » Sat May 14, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi all
A work colleague of mine keeps 2 cold water aquariums and a pond.
She has 2 blackmoors in one of the aquariums and was wondering if they could be transferred into the pond.
They haven't outgrown the tank she just thought they may be better in a large space with the shabumpkins for company.
We have both done a little research and we are getting conflicting opinions as to wether the blackmoors will be ok.
Does anyone have first hand experience of putting blackmoors into ponds or any advice for us?
Any thoughts greatly recieved
Ali
My job is took cook them, my passion is to keep them.
200 litre 4 guppy 5 dwarf cory 1 oto 1 albino veil tale BNP 8 cardinal tetra 8 galaxy rasbora 2 flame dwarf gourami 3 cherry barbs 2 coral platy
alihar

Postby Viv » Sat May 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Not blackmoors but my sister put fancy goldfish of same body type into her pond and they were fine for years. I've heard that fancy goldfish aren't hardy enough for ponds but in this case they were. It might depend on where you are in the country and/or how deep and sheltered the pond is? I would have thought they'd be okay in the warmer months even if they had to come inside for winter.

Viv
Tanks: Vision 450 community - larger fish, Rio 180 planted community - smaller fish, Rio 125 - tiger barbs, 60l - Siamese fighter, 25l corner - red cherry shrimp, 13l -african dwarf frogs

4 500l goldfish and koi pond
Viv

Postby alihar » Sun May 15, 2011 1:13 am

Thanks Viv!
I think it will just be a case of having to try them in the pond and see what happens.
I shall suggest what you said about if it's too cold to bring them back inside.
she has had them 3yrs and they are still the same size as when she bought them so she was thinking they may grow given more space.
She has been toying with the idea for some time now and is still a little hesitant as wether or not to just try them.
We appreciate your input.
Thanks again
Ali
My job is took cook them, my passion is to keep them.
200 litre 4 guppy 5 dwarf cory 1 oto 1 albino veil tale BNP 8 cardinal tetra 8 galaxy rasbora 2 flame dwarf gourami 3 cherry barbs 2 coral platy
alihar

Postby Carylnz » Sun May 15, 2011 6:26 am

Viv is correct. It depends on how cold it gets outside in your area.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Carylnz » Sun May 15, 2011 6:27 am

Viv is correct. It depends on how cold it gets outside in your area.
One disadvantage of blackmoors in a pond - they are very hard to see!
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds