Fish with no tail

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

Fish with no tail

Postby keatingschick » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:01 pm

My daughter has what I THINK is a shubunkin. For her birthday she wanted a fish. When I was younger we won a fish on the fair and it was put in a bowl and lived for years with very little attention.
We got her 2 fish and its been more hassle than its worth, but has re-kindled my interest in fish.
We had alot of problems with the fish at first (weren't told that the fish needed a filter - as I said my previous experience with coldwater fish was goldfish/bowl), one died. The remaining one has had his ups and downs and recently his tail dropped off. He looked like he had a sort of fungus on this tail, I was going to the petshop the morning after to get some treat and his tail was gone in the morning.
I thought he would die then, but he seems fine. He does bob about a little oddly, but I find that quite endearing, but will it grow back and if not, is it ok for him? It wont stress him will it?
keatingschick

Postby miskin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:37 am

Not sure about tails but I had a fish without eyes. Fsh.
Recovering MTS enjoyer

4ft tropical tank closed down due to building work

Planned Amazon catfish tank, and the tropical community brought back up.
miskin

Postby saph.st24 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:24 am

i have had fish that have had tails chewed off and ripped off and they have grown back fairly quickly
as long as the tail isnt down to the bit where it connects to the body it will more then likely grow back given time and good water quality, however if it is down to the body and this area looks infected its very unlikley to grow back
but really all you can do is wait and see

if his tail doesnt grow back and he is a lone fish and he can cope with swimming in his own unique way he should lead a happy life but i wouldnt put any other fish in with him as he wont be able to get out of the way of another fish who will take advantage of his disabilty
saph.st24

Postby keatingschick » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:13 am

He is in with 3 white cloud moutain minnows and they dont seem to bother him. It is right down to the bit that joins the body it is not just the fancy bit. He is just a body now!! I call him BOB cos he just sort of bobs around. He seems happy enough but I just wondered if it would affect him. Thanks for replies.
keatingschick

Re: Fish with no tail

Postby DanHatherleyHurford » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Hello, I thought I would suggest the probable issues that cause the fish to develop symptoms.
Fish bowls and fish tanks large and small are relatively volatile environments if not managed.

Why you might ask, well is wild environments (which are variable in there complexity) mostly have their water quality parameters balanced in several ways naturally.

1.) Water replacement via water transfer (dilution)
2.) Filtration and balancing (recycling of soluble nutrient’s) by plants and bacteria, macro-invertebrate’s etc.
You may wonder what I am getting at. Well simply cyprinid species like goldfish and variety’s like Shubumpkins are very hardy, colorful and tolerant to a wide range of water quality parameters, change in water quality and environments, as well as being able to survive of low nutrient based food for prolonged periods. This means they are well suited to keeping as pets.
Good Water quality and general environment, size and set up of your fish tank, food nutrition, and the recycling of nutrient’s are key to good fish health.
Freshwater fish like Goldfish strive to gain salts (which they gain from there food) and due to the fact they live in fresh water , they don’t need to struggle for a drink, as a result the gold fish in this environment will retain salts and pee a lot. This will in a small environment along with uneaten food and fecal matter cause water quality to become poor over a short time, effecting dissolved oxygen levels and the level of toxins building up such as ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Due to the fact there is no natural breakdown or recycling of these issues in a small artificial environment fish will also deteriorate in health and become stressed, this then leads to suppressed immune response to infection and subsequently and increase in both naturally occurring fungal and bacterial infections or irradiation caused directly by poor water quality. Fin rot or cotton wool disease (saprolegnia) is likely to be what has been happening to your fish.

How can you prevent this from happening? Well I have put a few suggestions in bullet points below which may help.
• One every 2 weeks exchange using a cup and buckets (less additional stress to the fish)the tank water by around 30-40 %+/-
• Install a small bio-filter or purchase a tank with a built in filter system (they are easy to set up.IE fluval Edge (great little tank)
• Invest in this book (The Interpet manual of fish health) this will give you a great amount of information relating to water quality and how the filter will clean/recycle nutrient’s
• Always by fish that look healthy from an aquatic center (that have clean fins, and appearance with no dead fish in the tanks and that are lively or come to the surface for food when you put your hand near the top of the tank.
• Don’t over stock your tank
• Possibly plant your tank up with natural plants
• Do not over feed your fish, every 2-3 days once a day is sufficient.
• If the fish are looking poorly, seek advice from your local aquatic center if you wish to treat the fish, or remove the fish to treat or dispatch humanely with and dispose.
• Never leave dead fish in the tank.

I hope this helps

Regards

Dan Hatherley-Hurford
:wink:

Moderator Edit: Email address removed.
DanHatherleyHurford

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds