Finally!.. sort of.

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

Finally!.. sort of.

Postby TheCaptain » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:18 am

So - having moved house, had child, changed jobs and sorted out my 30th Birthday tank... I'm actually planning my pond.

I'm looking at about 3 1/2 foot deep - which I know is the absolute minimum acceptable for Koi (but it's going to be next to the house - and the wall has a internal radiator on it) because of heat over winter - 5 ft wide, and about 12 ft long... which makes it slightly shy of 6000 litres. I think I've seen articles saying 4500 is the minimum you should reasonably keep Koi in, and as you should keep a minimum of 3 Koi, I'm assuming that 4500 is acceptable for 3 Koi - so I'm relatively happy that 6000 is adequate for 4 koi and a handful of Shubunkins.

At the moment, I'm looking at high density a wooden frame around concrete blocks (number of skins to be decided by my dad - he's awesome at this type of thing), either concrete render with appropriate sealants - or concrete render and fibre glass paint. I think I'd prefer fibre glass paint, as it's none toxic and less likely to need repainting in 10 years... plus - it can be cheaper than some of the higher quality concrete pond sealer paint stuff. But I'll take advice on that - if anyone has any to give.

I'd like to put a sterlet in there as well - Im pretty sure a "proper" sturgeon is going to be too big for the pond realistically (80 inches full grown?) where a sterlet should be a little shorter than the width of the pond (50 inch full grown) and have plenty of swimming space end to end. That however, is VERY much open for debate as I don't know a lot about them, just that I like them... so I need to do research there.

Oh - time scale, I'm looking to start building at the start of next summer (2012). I've got a few of the fish I want in a cold water tank at home right now - about 2 inches long. The tank can sustain them to about 4 or 5 inches long, and they're in the coldest room in the house - so I'm not too concerned about them being in the tank.
Richard "TheCaptain" Combes.

Remember: Piracy is a crime. Do not accept copies of The Captain.
TheCaptain

Re: Finally!.. sort of.

Postby saph.st24 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:28 am

hi thecaptain
congratulations with the baby,house and birthday
you may want to have a read here http://www.koiponduk.org/smf/ it should pretty much cover everything you may want to know about setting up a pond
its the forum i mod on i am not trying to poach from here please believe me but i could go on all day about ponds and it will be much easier for you to have a nose around and have a read
you will have to register to see the full forum but you dont have to contribute to the forum if you dont want to,it is quiet on there at the moment but its friendly we are not the type of koi forum that says its got to be done this way or it wrong what is called in the trade as koi snobbery in fact we are totally the opposite we like D.I.Y pond filters quirky ponds and mutts as the koi snobs call them if they havent got a silly price tag on them and we will help with any questions should you need it

you could look at box liners thats another option open to you
saph.st24

Re: Finally!.. sort of.

Postby saph.st24 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:43 pm

hi the captain

you should look in where your council stands with having the pond unagainst the house some councils require planning permission for ponds so close to buildings something to do with the foundations and plumbing ect, i know my council wanted planning permission it the pond was closer then 2 foot but other councils are differnt my friends pond had to be 5 foot away

dont worry to much about how much litreage is need per koi worry about the filter your gojng to be using please please dont go for a pressurised filter they dont work when you have koi they dont do what they say if you can afford it go for a multi bay there are many to chose from , or you could go for black boc type filters and link them together, you may have read about nexus filters personally would not bother unless you willing to buy the skimmers, sieves, bottom drain and eveything else that needed to make it work properly

are you having a bottom drain or are you pump feeding your filter
as for the size of filter your going to need at least half again the size of your pond so you should look for a filter around 9000ltrs min more if poss koi a muck makers
you say fibre glass paint never heard of that but i have seen ponds being fibre glassed with fibre glass sheets and resin then painted ,as for it being toxic it can be if not cured and flowcoated properly it can leach styrene into the water ,if not flowcoat is used the fibre matting will eventuall breakdown

sterlets are great fish however they need feeding all year round, where your koi and goldies should not be fed below 8 deg c and you will need a summer food and a autumn food (colder temps only feed wheatgerm higher temps a higher protein food can be give) so if your going to heat the pond at to min 14 degc(its a parasite thing) over winter i wouldnt consider a sterlet
they also have to be good at getting to the food before the koi and goldies

the fish in the tank make sure you have a good filter on it koi as mess messy fishes , koi grow no matter what temp they are kept at unless its 10 deg c or below when they go dormant
saph.st24

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds