HUMANE DESTRUCTION

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

HUMANE DESTRUCTION

Postby cobden28 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:42 pm

Not a nice topic I know, but it's a problem I've just had to face earlier this afternoon.

I went to clear the floating plants from the surface of the pond in our back garden - a mixture of salvinia and duckweed - as the surface was completely covered and we couldn't see the fish in the pond beneath. was horrified to find one of the goldfish lying on its side at the bottom as though dead, but it wasn't; its bodt appeared dreadfully swollen through some sort of dropsy and the fish was totally unable to swim.

Neither my husband or I knew how to treat the fish and as it was obviously suffering we decided it'd be best if we put it out of its misery pronto as we didn't want it to continue suffering. I laid the fish out ion the grass and Mike chopped the fish in two with a machete, cutting it in two and severing the spinal cord instantly.

It wasn't a fancy goldfish, just an ordinary common goldfish but pond-bred by us so we were rather attatched to the fish. Was this the best way to euthanise a fish - if not, how else could i have done the necessary?
cobden28

Re: HUMANE DESTRUCTION

Postby Angel Fish » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:55 pm

It's a difficult and very personal choice. Some people use clove oil or alcohol, some put the fish in a freezer.

I prefer to get it done as quickly as possible. With smaller aquarium fish, I soak some kitchen roll in tank water, wrap the fish in it and then double seal it in a bag - then I hit the bag with a brick. Yes, I know, it sounds awful, but it's a way that works for me.
For larger fish, I do as you did and cut off the head - again, not nice, but the most effective way for me :(
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Carylnz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:10 pm

For big fish, cutting the spinal cord is quickest. For smaller fish, I put them in a plastic bag then give it a swing and a solid whack onto concrete. Also quick.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby J.abbott » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:18 pm

same as above for both, well i prefer the plastic bag swing its what we do at work.
i dont like the clove oil/ alcohol thing as its must cause the fish lots of pain.
sorry to hear about your fish though x
J.abbott

Postby Prime Ordeal » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Clove oil is a natural anaesthetic. The fish drift off to never never land in peace. It's the best method.

But you know what, come the revolution when I have to atone for my sins, I'm going to ask to be placed in a large plastic bag and be dashed against a hard surface or, even better, ask to have my spine cut through with a knife. Gotta be better than falling to sleep and then dying...right? (Note to Admin...now that's sarcasm! :rofl: )
Experience means nothing if it's the wrong experience!
Prime Ordeal

Postby Angel Fish » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Yes, and depending on the size of the fish, they could take a long time to drift off to sleep - So let's all prolong the agony rather than ending the suffering quickly.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Prime Ordeal » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Angel Fish wrote:Yes, and depending on the size of the fish, they could take a long time to drift off to sleep - So let's all prolong the agony rather than ending the suffering quickly.

Since when has drifting off to sleep been an agony? And you dose according to the size. Your argument is no argument. :roll:
Experience means nothing if it's the wrong experience!
Prime Ordeal

Postby Angel Fish » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:30 pm

Actually, I wasn't arguing.

As with all your posts, other opinions are available.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby saph.st24 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:36 am

im am with prime ordeal
clove oil is a natural anestetic and if you dont have the proper anestetic to do the deed then this is the best stuff in an emergency, not to mention alot less destressing for the person having to youthenise the fish,
no matter what size the fish is it will drift off quickly and peacefully no panic no hurt
i have youthenised recently a very large goldfish and a large koi and had no problems what so ever very peaceful,

the trick with clove oil is to make sure you use enough to overdose the fish
depending on the size of the fish i use anything from a few drops to half a bottle

put you fish into bucket half filled with enough water for the fish to be upright and cover the top of the bucketwith a towel,
next pour 20 ml of warm water in a small bottle/jar add the clove oil dose and shake to mix the two till the water turns cloudy
then pour this mixture into the bucket gentle mix into the bucket of water then cover the bucket back up ,i leave the fish in this solution for half hour to and hour
the actual drifting off to sleep doesnt take long just a few moments however i leave the fish so long just to be sure it is overdosed i know it will be but its for my peace of mine more then anything
saph.st24

Postby cousin it » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:58 am

until a few years ago I recomended the clove oil overdose method, this was until I was contacted by a friend who had used the method to deal with some that were unwell, and it failed on a couple of the fish he treated, now I use clove oil to put the fish under as I would if they needed minor surgery and once they are fully under I use a sharp knife to sever the spinal chord.
for small fish I have a large pair of aquascaping scissors that are razor sharp a quick snip and it is over.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby cobden28 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Thirty years ago when I had to dismantle and sell my last tropical tank and contents, due to an impending house move, I found one baby platy left in the tank the day after I'd taken the fish down to the local fish shop and there's been no heat in the tank for a day. The only thing i could think of was to wrap the baby platy in a piece if tissue paper and then firmly stamp on it.

I'd have done the same yesterday but the goldfish was quite a whopper, so we had to do a rapid rethink!

Many thanks for all your helpful suggestions.
cobden28

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds