small pond no fish

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

small pond no fish

Postby fravel05 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:07 pm

i have a small pond that I put in beside my house that I had a few questions about if anyone can help. its about 2 ft deep by five feet. it's kinda kidney shaped. it's not made with a hard liner but made with a extremely tuff plastic sheet. I don't have any fish in there because there was a frog that hung out there. I stopped chlorinating the water when I saw him. there is no filter on this pond. only a pump that I have running water to the top for a rock waterfall. it all started as a place my lab could go to get wet at our house cuz he loves water and now it's gettin lil gross on the bottom. I needed to know what to do about winter n cleaning it I suppose before winter gets here to Pittsburgh. thanks for all suggestions.
fravel05

Re: small pond no fish

Postby DanHatherleyHurford » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Hello,
Well the great thing is you have a pond, I am sure you can make it into a valued feature of your home/garden.
If there is no filtration this is not a problem for a naturally sustainable wildlife pond. It’s also wise to point out that small ponds can still provide a wonderful small habitat for both small fish populations and that of frogs and other amphibians, which do naturally co-exist with fish.
The key to providing a good environment is easy really, I have composed a few bullet points below which will help keep things full of life.
• Keep water levels topped up
• Don’t use any chemicals or other products unless specifically designed for aquatic environments; however I would not use any at all. (no chlorine)
• Maintain a good proportion of the pond as open water
• Periodically remove any surface plants like duck wee (lemma minor which can be a pond killer as can the water plant azolla) this allows light to penetrate.
• Have plenty of emergent plants around the edges of the pond for nutrient filtrate (natural) and habitat for natural invertebrates like dragon fly larvae, yellow flag (yellow iris is a lovely plant for this and is pretty.
• If the pond is of a suitable size, small fish like stickle backs or small cyprinid species can survive quite easily in small numbers (do not over stock the pond)
• If there is not any it would be wise to introduce some oxygenating submerged plants like Canadian pond weed or similar (these are easy to remove if they become too abundant in the future.
• Keep the pond edges excusable to life, with a natural wooden bridge into the pond allowing
Animals to get in and out of the pond.
Other tips, during the winter (if no fish are present) don’t worry if they are not, a simple aerator with stone diffuser (powered from the house) can be temporarily connected to provide aeration and can prevent full frozen surface layers from developing. Full frozen surfaces on lakes and ponds can prevent natural gas exchange, this can cause a buildup of natural toxins within the water that can cause fish mortality if the is not sufficient water depth or surface area.

If you or anyone else would like any further advice please send me a question.

Regards Danial Hatherley-Hurford :wink:
DanHatherleyHurford

Postby Angel Fish » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:33 pm

If you or anyone else would like any further advice please send me a question.

That's why we're here :)
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Carylnz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:16 am

If you have no fish in it then just drain it and scrub the plastic then re-fill.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby saph.st24 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:16 am

hi
as carylnz said drain it but try and ssave as much of the water as possible then remove sludge onto a plastic sheet and leave it on there for a day or so this will give any wildlife caught in the sludge chance to escape back to the pond
when youve scrubbed and cleaned return the pond water and allow to refill naturally if possible
saph.st24

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds