Pond cover

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

Pond cover

Postby mercury » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:17 pm

I saw a picture somewhere of a pond cover made out of
a rectangular wooden frame with plastic sheeting fixed
to it, held in place by tent pegs.

The pond had a pond heater in it & the idea was to prevent
the snow & ice covering the pond.

Are there any problems with something
like this?
mercury

Re: Pond cover

Postby miskin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:51 am

Well, light issues might be a problem if you have plants, you can use clear sheeting to get round that. A secondary issue might be aesthetics, it wouldn't look quite right in my garden for sure! As long as it wasnt completely air tight ( tbh you'd have a harder time getting it to BE airtight than not ) you shouldnt get any detrimental effects to fish.
Recovering MTS enjoyer

4ft tropical tank closed down due to building work

Planned Amazon catfish tank, and the tropical community brought back up.
miskin

Re: Pond cover

Postby saph.st24 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:11 am

hi
you can make a simple cover with large sheets of bubble wrap it will work better then just plain plastic (i buy mine from B&Q) its the stuff used for insultating greenhouses with,
i am not heated but did have a pond return freeze in a way that it was returning the water on top of the ice rather then under so now i lower the returns into the water in winter and i cover both ponds and wrap all the pipe work in a couple of layers also it works stops them freezing, i put the bubble wrap onto my frame that it have my summer net on, on the goldies i just use 5-6 long lengths of wood crossed to either side of the pond and the bubble wrap placed over these and held in place by tent pegs, i make sure its not going to sag into the water when the snow is on either of them i also make sure there is a vent to circulate the air slightly and vent off the ammonia gases , if the vent gets blocked then i clear them daily if needed,
saph.st24

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds