Goldfish

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

Goldfish

Postby cobden28 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:27 pm

I have a fishpond in my back garden which contained 10 goldfish, around 5 - 6" long, mostly home-bred so I have quite an attatchment to them. During the past year I lost two with swim-bladder problems; they had to be quickly & humanely despatched by a swift blow behind the head with a machete - leaving eight fish. Today after the annual pond-clean-out I noticed another fish with severe fin-rot in its tail, which had spread to the rear part of its body so again this fish had to be humanely despatched. We didn't like having to do this but one swift sharp 'chop' did the trick.

I now have two questions which I'd like to ask on the forum, namely:-

- when it came to having to humanely despatch a fish, did we do it right? The goldfish was a fair size.

- should I leave the remaining 7 fish as they are in the pond, or is it wise to consider adding three more goldfish? If so, would it be best to go for smaller fish or larger ones the same size as the remaining adult fish in the pond?
cobden28

Re: Goldfish

Postby Carylnz » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:29 am

- when it came to having to humanely despatch a fish, did we do it right? The goldfish was a fair size.
A good, quick death. Best method for larger species.

- should I leave the remaining 7 fish as they are in the pond, or is it wise to consider adding three more goldfish?
I would leave them. Assuming you have a mix of sexes they will spawn and repopulate. Besides, it sounds like conditions have not been the best for a while so less fish means less strain on the filtration (assuming you have some).

If so, would it be best to go for smaller fish or larger ones the same size as the remaining adult fish in the pond?
They need to be big enough not to fit in the mouths of the other fish and I would get some a similar size or the originals may stop them from getting enough food.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Goldfish

Postby cobden28 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:22 am

Thank you for your advice. I'll leave the fish numbers as they are.

Admittedly I'd not cleaned the pond out properly for the past couple of years, due to my own ill-health (angina and stroke-related problems) so although we do have a pump and filter I'd not done a complete strip-down of everything for some time. Everything now looks brand-spanking new and clean...I just think I need a couple more pots of oxygenating plants to go on the ledges at the side of the pond and that's it!
cobden28

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds