green/tiger barbs ok in temperate water ??

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

green/tiger barbs ok in temperate water ??

Postby micky.carbine » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:40 pm

I have had to relocate 2 tiger barbs and 2 green barbs out of my community, planted, heated tank due to them stressing the more peaceful inhabitants. I have placed them in a 25 litre tank which is unheated but room temperature, which did home a couple of common goldfish which I have subsequently relocated into a neighbours pond as they were getting abit large.
I was planning on buying another heater for the tank but the water temp hovers around 18/20 degrees without heater so I was wondering if this will be ok for them ? They seem fine, eating well and very active, but I just want to know if anybody else does this or am I really better off getting a heater for it. These will be the only fish in there.
any advice or info would be great cheers

Re: green/tiger barbs ok in temperate water ??

Postby Carylnz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:25 pm

These fish are semi tropical so cope with those temperatures. You have to watch cold nights though as the house temp may drop even lower in the early hours of the morning on a winter's night, unless you are well insulated and heated.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom

Re: green/tiger barbs ok in temperate water ??

Postby jimmyy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:39 pm

Yea just remember its going to get colder during the nights now...

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds