Are water treatments the same for cold water and tropical?

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

Are water treatments the same for cold water and tropical?

Postby Davy Jones » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 pm

After setting up two tropical tanks for my son and I, my daughter now wants in on the action but as she is only three, I have set her up a coldwater tank. Can I use the API stress coat and stress zyme that I use on the tropical tanks or do I need to use something different? The tank itself is only 25l and has a small filter but thats about it.

Thanks again,

DJ
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Re: Are water treatments the same for cold water and tropica

Postby Carylnz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:51 am

You can use them in cold water but I am not sure why you are using both on your tropicals and seem to be about to use them on the cold. I understand one removes chlorine, which I gather is required in the UK, but you should not have to use the other continually.
What do you plan to put in the 25L? It is too small for goldfish. What does her age have to do with having a cold water, rather than tropical, tank?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Davy Jones » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:25 pm

The stress coat reccomends that you add this when setting up a new tank, doing a water change or adding new fish, the stress zyme reccomends using this once a week to keep the aquarium clean and in good condition. Are you saying I dont need to use them as frequently? I'm only going on the packet directions and lfs information.
As for why cold and not tropical, the tank I bought her came with everything but a heater, I have spent a small fortune in the last few weeks setting up the other two tanks and as she is a youngster, she isnt too fussy what fish she has so long as she has fish so I went with what I have got.
We'll be talking to the lfs before buying any fish although any ideas for suitable fish would be greatly received.

DJ
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Postby SparkyST » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:26 pm

All I use is tapsafe, no need for anything else, the LFS will tell you to buy it as it makes their tills ring.
SparkyST

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds