Poorly goldfish, when is enough, enough?

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

Poorly goldfish, when is enough, enough?

Postby annielabtech » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:40 pm

I look after two goldfish at work, they have worked here longer than me.
They are about 12 years old, one has gone totally blind, has fungusy stuff (not sure if thats what it is the lense looks thickened and yellow) over one eye and has pop eye in the other, the other fish has now developed pop eye in one eye and the lense has gone dark. I have been adding salt to the water on water changes and it has helped (stabilised it), however, they are still eating normally, swimming around sifting through stones and come to the front when someone passes to say hello (well the one that can see does anyway). People at work have said i should put them down (i will be using clove oil and vodka method for this), but even though they are no longer pretty to look at I'm not sure they are ready for this, mainly because of their normal behaviour and eating.

What do you guys think?

ps I will totally put them down immediately if they are in pain or miserable.
pps The one that looks worse has been like it for a year and is still eating normally, the salt has stabilised its condition.
annielabtech

Re: Poorly goldfish, when is enough, enough?

Postby Carylnz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:06 am

If all else is normal they should be saveable.
12 years is young for a goldfish as they should be able to live 35 years or more (although being kept in a small aquarium more than halves their lifespan so they are getting on in tank terms).
Have a look here for suggestions on cures.
A finrot medication should help. Is their water kept nice and clean? Sounds like it is if they are having regular water changes.
Often the fungus can be carefully knocked off and you find the fish underneath perfectly healthy (similar to removing a scab). This might explain why they are otherwise acting normally and eating well.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Poorly goldfish, when is enough, enough?

Postby annielabtech » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks for your help, wanted a second opinion on this. They are swimming and eating normally, being active and sociable, just noticed the one that can see guided the blind fish to the food, bless! :) did a 75% water change as I've come back off holiday and it was looking merky, and added a good tablespoon of aquarium salt, they've perked up more since I did that, so I think they are fine and will look at medication if the deteriorate again. Thanks :)
annielabtech

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds