Tropical /Temperate Fish

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

Tropical /Temperate Fish

Postby k1rr1e » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:04 pm

I have a small 19 litre planted tank which has LED lighting, but no heater. I am using it to keep all my aquatic plants whilst until living room is re-floored and decorated and I re-establish my large tank again.

The water quality in the tank is good and I have two Zebra Snails, which are happily keeping the algae down. The tank is at room temp (18C-20C) and I was wondering if there are any fish (either temperate or tropical) which I can put in this tank, but which I can transfer to my tropical tank once I get it back up and running?

Best regards,
Eric
k1rr1e

Re: Tropical /Temperate Fish

Postby SparkyST » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Can you not use the heater from the tropical tank to boost the temperature in the small tank? This would give a wider choice of fish
SparkyST

Postby k1rr1e » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:26 pm

I could, but it is a fairly beefy 100W heater for a 104l tank.

Do you have experience of any fish which could happily survive in both temperate and tropical water?
k1rr1e

Postby SparkyST » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:59 pm

That heater should be fine. It will only heat the water to the temperature you set it to, as its oversized for the tank it will heat the water quicker (or thats how I understand it)

No idea on which fish would be good for both temperate and tropical water. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.
SparkyST

Postby Carylnz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:41 am

A lot of the barbs (rosy, golden dwarf, green) are temperate/tropical. Danios, platies, white cloud mountain minnows, some of the botias and hill stream loaches, peppered corydoras, Florida flagfish (Jordanella floridae), Buenos aires tetra (but these can decimate plants). In a tank your size you need to keep to smaller species.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby englishmx » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:19 am

k1rr1e wrote:Do you have experience of any fish which could happily survive in both temperate and tropical water?

tropical (Most instances how they will be kept in your LFS) to temperate and then back to tropical

Not the way I'd go about it, get a cheap wee heater for your small tank if your 100W is too large
Mike...
englishmx

Postby k1rr1e » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:18 am

Many thanks for the replies above.

Just to clarify; I have no fish at all at the moment, just a small tank at room temp for my plants and a couple of zebra snails.

I have a 104l tank with full tropical set up, ready and waiting to go as soon as the room is ready. In the meantime, I would like to keep just a few small fish (was thinking along the lines of 4 plus one catfish) which I can transfer from the temp tank to the tropical tank later, without causing any problems for the fish.

My master plan is to set up my tropical tank, but initially to keep the water at room temp, introduce the fish from my small tank, get them settled, then gradually heat the water so the fish suffer the minimum of stress.

The suggestions below above give me plenty of ideas for stocking.
k1rr1e

Postby k1rr1e » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:58 pm

Can anyone tell me the temp range for keeping Sterba's Corydoras?

I saw some today in the same tank as Peppered Cory's and these are bonny fish, but I can't find any info to say if they will tolerate the same range of temperate and tropical temps as the Peppered Cory.
k1rr1e

Postby Carylnz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:39 pm

Sterbais prefer it a bit warmer. They can go down to around 22C but are better at 24+. Temperate fish can live happily at 18C+.
To be fair, I would not keep peppered at 18 either.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby k1rr1e » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:12 am

Thank you Carlynz, I will stick to the peppered, my tank water temp is 20-21c!
k1rr1e

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds