Hot weather = less oxygen!

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

Hot weather = less oxygen!

Postby Rockfish » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:27 pm

If you're in the UK, remember these very warm temperatures we are getting at the moment means less dissolved oxygen in the pond - so make sure filters are running properly and consider adding extra aeration with an airpump!

A partial water change can also help cool and aerate the pond in an emergency (such as if fish are observed gasping at the surface), and the cleaner the water, the better the oxygen level is likely to be, as decomposing wastes use up oxygen.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Re: Hot weather = less oxygen!

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:16 am

Good to know you get weather warm enough to be a problem sometimes :wink:
Another mild winter here. Current temperature outside is 18C.
We have had some -3C and - 4C frosts though followed by lovely sunny days and the pond froze over once - for the first time in 4 years.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby SparkyST » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:46 am

Unfortunately our neighbors lost 4 koi carp last week when they went away and their pump decided to pack up. I suspect lack of oxygen in the pond. I now have a key for when they go away again so I can keep an eye on the pond in case any other problems.
SparkyST

Postby Carylnz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:48 am

That is good of you SparkyST. I am lucky the people next door have also kept fish so can check mine if required too. She also helped clean out our pond before winter! This was great as she is younger and fitter than my husband and me :mrgreen:
I gather koi need a lot more oxygen than goldfish (they are illegal in NZ so I do not know a lot about them) so good pumps and filtration are a must.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby SparkyST » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:07 am

Carylnz wrote:That is good of you SparkyST. I am lucky the people next door have also kept fish so can check mine if required too. She also helped clean out our pond before winter! This was great as she is younger and fitter than my husband and me :mrgreen:
I gather koi need a lot more oxygen than goldfish (they are illegal in NZ so I do not know a lot about them) so good pumps and filtration are a must.

I think they do need a lot of oxygen, they werent small ones either, such a shame they lost them :( The goldfish they have all survived though.
SparkyST

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds