sons goldfish getting too big

A cool new area of The Tropical Tank forum for coldwater fish and aquaria, and outdoor ponds.

sons goldfish getting too big

Postby tinasmith1971 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:35 am

My son has a beautiful goldfish that I bought him about 1 year ago. He lived in a 5 gallon tank with another goldfish who died about 6 months ago. I moved him into a 10 gallon tank because he seemed to have out grown his 1st tank. He has now gotten much bigger. Do I need to keep up grading his tank? I've always read that goldfish only grow as large as there tank but recently I've been reading otherwise.
If I do have to upgrade his tank, will I have to keep doing this for the life span of the fish?
My husband will kill me if I buy another tank. He's not much of a fish lover and I already have a 30 gallon for my tropical fish.
Thanks for any feed back.
My local fish store said they would take my goldfish and put it in there indoor pond but a. my son would be devastated and b. they have a cat fish in the pond that would most likely eat my fish
Help!
30 gallon tank -Moms Tanks
1 blue gourami
4 blood barbs
1 dwarf frog
1 plecko

30 gallon tank- Sons Tank
1 very happy Puffer fish
tinasmith1971

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:11 am

Is it a fancy long tailed goldfish or a short tailed comet? If it is a comet I suggest a pond is the best place for it. Comets swim fast and need a lot of space. Do you have the space to build a pond?
The fancy long, flowing finned goldfish tend to hang about, not zip around like comets. They are OK in tanks. A 30gal would be big enough (and no, fish do NOT grow to the size of their tank).
Have you considered downsizing your tropical then swapping tanks? Put you tropicals in the 10 gallon and the goldish in the 30.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby tinasmith1971 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:11 am

From looking up different types of goldfish it looks like what they call a Common:
"It has a stock body with equally convex dorsal and ventral contours. The body is a brilliant metallic orange-red or yellow, and this vivid color etends into the fins. The dorsal fin has a long base, and the anal and caudal fines are not divided, and the caudal fin is moderately forked."
Def. not a Comet
I can't build a pond, at least not now in this frigid weather and I don't want to downsize my tropical tank. I was hoping that I can get buy with a 20 gallon for the goldie.
1 blue gourami
4 blood barbs
1 dwarf frog
1 plecko

1 very happy Puffer fish
tinasmith1971

Postby tinasmith1971 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:28 am

Its def. a Common
1 blue gourami
4 blood barbs
1 dwarf frog
1 plecko

1 very happy Puffer fish
tinasmith1971

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:38 pm

The following came from animal-world.com
The comet is a further development of the common goldfish. Both have an almost identical body shape but the fins on the Comet are much longer, especially the caudal (tail) fin, and it is more deeply forked. Also, in the standard orange color the comet is generally a more reddish orange while the common is more orangish. The adult size of the comet is smaller too.
The size of the tank the fish is kept in is a determining factor on whether your pet grows to its full potential size or is somewhat smaller. In an average 10 gallon tank, if well cared for and not crowded, they can grow up to about 4 inches (10 cm), while in a larger uncrowded tank they can grow larger generally reaching about 7 or 8 inches (17.78 - 20.32 cm). If kept in a spacious pond they can reach over 12 inches (30+ cm), with some hobbyist reporting their common goldfish reaching up to a whopping 18" (45+ cm)!
To me, keeping it in a 10 gallon tank is unacceptable. Why condemn a fish to a stunted half size when it should be able to reach its full potential?
How old is your son? Perhaps when he leaves home he can take the fish and buy a bigger tank for it :wink:
Animal rights activists get upset at battery hens and the like but don't seem to take notice of fish. Perhaps because they are not cute or fluffy (unless they get a fungal infection) it is easier to convince yourself that cramped conditions are OK. If you had a dog, would you keep it in a kennel that was too small?

Sorry for the rant but I get upset at short finned goldfish being kept in tanks when they should be able to swim in ponds :cry:
Carylnz

Postby estgeorge » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:21 am

Another idea is to explain to your son that you are going to rescue a fish. Siamese fighting fish (Betta's) are often kept in tiny bowls or jars at the fish shop. You may find that the local store that is willing to put the Goldfish in a pond for you would be willing to exchange him for a Betta. 10 Gallons would be ideal for a single Betta (which would be forever in your debt for removing him from a small jar!) You would have to invest in a heater, but it's better than having to keep upgrading the tank and it may keep the husband and son happy! :D
Betta's have a reputation for developing personalities and there is a huge variety of colours, with beautiful fins.

Mark
estgeorge

Postby tinasmith1971 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks for all of everyone's input. Can't give the fish away because my son is only 4 1/2 and has become very attached to his fish so I think the next step is to upgrade. Will go to the store today to buy a new set up while the hubbys at work. Hey, maybe he won't even notice the goldie is in a bigger tank. I'll try to post a pic of the fish so the experts can tell me if its a Comet or a Common because I'm still not 100% sure.
We had a Betta a few years back but my son has always loved goldfish, so when the Betta died he begged for a goldie, now there's no turning back.
1 blue gourami
4 blood barbs
1 dwarf frog
1 plecko

1 very happy Puffer fish
tinasmith1971

Postby Carylnz » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:01 am

It is hard when a child becomes attached (but good too!). It is possible your goldfish is a cross between common and comet anyway. A lot of fish in stores are crossbreeds. They go for quantity rather than quality :roll:
If you get a new, bigger tank, then get rid of the old one, surely that will be OK as you are not adding any more tanks. Tell him it like upgrading the car to a larger model :wink:
Larger tanks are actually easier to maintain than the smaller ones too.
You said it wasn't possible to dig a pond now. Does than mean it might be a possibilty later? The goldfish will be fine until summer. Water features in the garden can increase your property value :wink: (another handy hint to tell your husband)
Carylnz

Postby tinasmith1971 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:07 am

Oh yeah, I've always wanted a pond in the backyard but I'm going to have to tackle it on my own so I'm holding off until late spring/early summer. I ordered a 20 gallon tank today (I just couldn't afford anything bigger) and when I did the measurements on the current tank today I realized this poor goldie has been swimming around in a 5 gallon...ouch bad mom! Thats probably why the other goldfish died a little while back. I'm a goldfish murderer :cry:
Hopefully the new tank will arrive while the hubby is at work so I can set it up before he comes home and then he'll never know the difference. I just have to make sure my son keeps it a secret just between the two of us. :wink:
1 blue gourami
4 blood barbs
1 dwarf frog
1 plecko

1 very happy Puffer fish
tinasmith1971

Postby estgeorge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 am

Don't worry, we'll pursuade the DA to donwngrade it to Manslaughter! :D

And i know some men can be a bit daft, but i would love to be a fly on the wall when you try and pursuade him that the 20 Gallon is in fact the same size as the 5 Gallon.... :lol:

It' a slippery slope... you'll soon be getting a 30 Gallon for the Goldfish, then you'll start feeling guilty that the Goldfish are treated better than the tropicals and buy them a 100 Gallon.... :wink: :mrgreen:

Mark
estgeorge

Postby tinasmith1971 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:34 pm

I have wanted a 100 gallon for years. I guess I'll probably have to wait for a really big celebration like my 50th bday or our 50th wedding anniversary.
Now keep in mind I'm only 37 and we've been married only 12 years, so I'm going to have to wait a long long time :D
You know I almost reconsidered bringing the goldie (by the way his name is Thomas, named after Thomas the Train) to the fish store again until I went by to visit them and saw the big cat fish at the bottom of the pond staring at me. I got out of there in a jiffy. Didn't want two counts of murder on my conscious :wink:
1 blue gourami
4 blood barbs
1 dwarf frog
1 plecko

1 very happy Puffer fish
tinasmith1971

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:52 am

I will be having my 50th birthday at the end of this month. Buy the 100 gallon and explain to your husband that it is a present for me and you are looking after it for me until I am able to collect it :wink:
Carylnz

Postby TheCaptain » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:56 am

You could always just "rearrange your desk"... and find a chip in the surface of the tropical tank? That would require a new tank immediately... and Pets at Home (sorry!!!!!!!!) seem to be selling off a lot of their bigger tanks.
I actually did happen to notice a chip on my gold fish tank (more on that later!) and replaced the 50 litre tank with a 190 litre tropical tank. ... moved my goldfish into the old tropical tank, and the plec (nearly a foot long... they grow up so fast!) into the new tropical tank.

So... the gold fish.... mine is now 10 years old... he's about 6 inches long, and into his 6th tank. They gone from th 5 litre tank to the 45 litre (via a couple in between) I broke... to the 72 litre he's in now. ... not bad for a fish that was won at the fair!
TheCaptain

Update

Postby tinasmith1971 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:39 pm

Got the 20 gallon tank and my sons' goldfish is as happy as can be! Told the hubby I got the tank from a friend who was getting rid of it...just a small lie. Anyway, the next question I have is do I NEED a bubbler in the tank. I'm having trouble finding a pump thats quiet enough because the tank is in my sons room and the pump sound bothers him at night. I've tried two already that I had spares of but the vibration is horrible. Tried wrapping it in a towel and tried putting in a box with cotton...no help. Soooo, do I really need a bubbler? I know its best to have one but the goldie did fine in the smaller tank with out one.
1 blue gourami
4 blood barbs
1 dwarf frog
1 plecko

1 very happy Puffer fish
tinasmith1971

Postby Bala Shark Mama » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:57 pm

You could always turn the bubbler off at night..
Bala Shark Mama

Next

Return to Coldwater Fish & Ponds